Save me from an early divorce

Please help save my Marriage,
I recently got married in Cancun and have received a CD from the wedding photographer. I can’t get this thing to play in any DVD player computer or other device I can think of. The CD contains three folders: EXT, MPEGAV, Segment, and VCD. The bulk of the “stuff” is in the segment folder (I am guessing these are the pictures) and have a .DAT extention. There have been some maijor communication issues with the photographer so I can’t get much help from him. I would realy LOVE to be able to convert this into a usable format before my new wife castrates me.
Thanks
Patrick

First download VLC and see if it can play your CD. But what I don’t get is what format is it?? And secondly your not at fault what happened to your marriage CD that is the responsiblity of the photographer whom you paid to do your wedding. But one has to remember “You get what you paid for” that being said you should invest in a good reliable photographer whom you can trust to do good work. Also what have you communicated with the photographer so far about the problem??

Browse to the MPEGAV folder and double click on the .dat file and associate it with a Media Player.

:cool::cool:

Ok,
I tried VLC … Nothing, played disk nothing came up.
I looked in the MPEGAV folder … Nada, its empty.

The EXT folder has 3 files:LOX_X.VCD, PSD_X.VCD, and scandata.dat
The MPEGAV folder has four file Entries, Info, Lot and PSD all .VCD files

As for the photographer well lets say I paid for a lot more than I have got so far. When you get married at one of these resorts you also get locked into using their vendors. The only response I was able to get from them was to put it in a DVD player and it should play. No one else has had a problem.

.dat files are usually files that are specific to a program. If you got a .dat file on a cd , you can convert it if you know what format the picture was taken in. . If you know it’s a picture, try, .jpg , .bmp , .gif . If it’s a movie, try, .avi , .mpeg , or .mov . and etc. Then you can convert it.:wink: just change the extention on the file. If it says 001 .dat, change it to 001 .gif and see what happens. Then move on to other formats if it doesnt work. Sometimes when I get an e-mail with a .dat extention, for some reason it just comes that way. I hope this helps you.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2234161] just change the extention on the file. If it says 001 .dat, change it to 001 .gif and see what happens. The move on to other formats if it doesnt work. Sometimes when I get an e-mail with a .dat extention, for some reason it just comes that way. I hope this helps you.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on Alan’s advice.
If these are photos, try changing the file extension from .dat to .jpg.
What a PITA. It’s not like you can just drive over to the guy’s studio.

Maybe you should have your new bride give the guy a call.
My bet is he’ll be glad to send out another cd…:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes a VCD is MPEG1 which means the ‘.dat’ file would probably respond to a simple file extension change to “.mpg” or “.mpeg”.

Copy the file to your HDD, make the changes, then open with VLC and see what happens.

Don’t worry we will try our best to get you sorted. If this doesn’t work, we will try something else.:cool:

I ried a bunch of extentions. Jpeg, BMP, GIF, FLM, PCD, TIF. no luck
Also I tried to save it as an mpeg and open with VLC.
Got an error cant recognize the inputs format.

[quote=Fosgate15;2234190]I ried a bunch of extentions. Jpeg, BMP, GIF, FLM, PCD, TIF. no luck
Also I tried to save it as an mpeg and open with VLC.
Got an error cant recognize the inputs format.[/quote]
Try this
If the files are from VCDs, you can use TMPGEnc ( Its a software program). Go to MPEG Tools, and use the Cut and Merge feature. Load your DAT file there and set the format to normal MPEG-1 (not VCD), then enter a new filename in “save as” and hit “Run.”

Sorry I get an error message that is not a valid MPEG file

Install and run Isobuster.
Select your CD/DVD Drive.
Click on the MPEGAV folder.
Select all dat files and right click and select Extract but filter only M2F2 Mpg frames.
Save the new file as filename.mpg. It will automatically be converted to a compliant mpg file.

You should be able to do this with the trial period of isobuster.

:cool::cool: