Satellite and Surround Sound

vbimport

Just wondering if Directv broadcasts Dolby Digital over their program packages, without having to purchase pay-per-view?

I have Dish and have been unable to locate DD, they offer it for $4.99 on a few pay-per-view movies. When I called tech service, they stated that HBO & MAX had DD once in awhile, I have been unable to find any yet, they could not tell when the next surround program would be broadcast without having to pay extra for it.

I have the everything package & feel I shouldn’t have to pay more to get the full use out of my system, I have the 622 reciever which needs the Digital Optical cable hooked up to your AV Reciever to enjoy DD.

Mayb’e someone on the forum has some knowledge if Dish plans on broadcasting DD in the near future, so all of us with the high end systems can utilize what they were built for.

At best, standard-definition shows have 4-channel Dolby surround sound (left, center, right and one rear ‘surround’ channel), but they usually have 2-channel stereo.

Most of the HD programing should be 5.1 Dolby Digital, there might be the occasional broadcast that is not.

:cool::cool:

The premium channels typically send DD 5.1.

The 622 is a HD receiver, and all of the HD channels are broadcasting DD, but not all are 5.1. The average channel is 384 DD, while a few are 448 DD. Virtually all the movies on the HD channels are DD 5.1, except of course the older movies that are 2-ch or mono.

I thought that premium channels typically send DD 5.1 & DD 2.0. :wink:

Dolby Digital is only broadcast with the (DD) designation listed in the program info.

HD only pertains to the video aspect of the program.

I believe it might have to do with the band width, as Dish is trying to squeeze as many HD channels as possible without regard to high resolution, and sound quality.

Dish does not have any information as to when it will start broadcasting programs in Dolby Digital, other than a few pay-per-views.

I don’t know what part you did not grasp.

It does not matter who it is and weather it’s satellite or digital box from your cable provider.

All Standard Definition Broadcasting will generally be

[ul]
[li]4-channel Dolby Surround or 2 channel stereo[/li][/ul]

All High Definition Broadcasting will generally be

[ul]
[li]5.1 Dolby Digital Surround[/li][/ul]

Direct TV and Dish Network’s HD programing does provide 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround. The Standard programing will not, and will probably will never ofter 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround period.

Getting into compression algorithms is a whole different ball park.

[quote=platinumsword;2123427]I don’t know what part you did not grasp.

It does not matter who it is and weather it’s satellite or digital box from your cable provider.

All Standard Definition Broadcasting will generally be

[ul]
[li]4-channel Dolby Surround or 2 channel stereo[/li][/ul]All High Definition Broadcasting will generally be

[ul]
[li]5.1 Dolby Digital Surround[/li][/ul]Sorry if you did not understand what I was saying, I may not of explained it properly. You may be correct in your general analysis of how most high definition broadcasts should be sent.

What I am trying to say is Dish Network customers are not recieving 5.1 Dolby Digital surround on the premium channels they subscribe to, Dish Network willl tell you that the high definition movies that they recieve are being sent without 5.1 Dolby Digital.

When you are on a (HD) program, push the info button on your remote to see what designations there are for the movie or program you are watching.
1 (HD) this designates a high resolution program.
2 (DD) this designates Dolby Digital.
3 (Stereo) This designates stereo or use of rear speakers which most of the high definition movies and programs are broadcast in on the Dish Network.

Direct TV and Dish Network’s HD programing does provide 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround. The Standard programing will not, and will probably will never ofter 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround period.

Getting into compression algorithms is a whole different ball park.

:cool::cool:[/quote]

You state (does provide) in your above paragraph and I agree with that statement, I believe that once in a blue moon you may find a movie on HBO or MAX that is broadcast in (DD). I was told by Dish Network that they do get a movie on one of these networks once in a while that is broadcast in (DD) Dolby Digital. When ever I ask them when the next premium movie will be broadcast in (DD), they don’t know, they state to watch for the (DD) designation using the remotes info button.

Like I said before, if you want (DD) on Dish Network, you will probably have to use pay-per-view for $4.99 a movie.

[QUOTE=rlmack;2123405]Dolby Digital is only broadcast with the (DD) designation listed in the program info.

HD only pertains to the video aspect of the program.

I believe it might have to do with the band width, as Dish is trying to squeeze as many HD channels as possible without regard to high resolution, and sound quality.

Dish does not have any information as to when it will start broadcasting programs in Dolby Digital, other than a few pay-per-views.[/QUOTE]

Um, no. DD is part of the HDTV standard. All HD programming is DD audio. That does not mean it’s all 5.1. Virtually all movies broadcast on Dish and DirecTV HD channels are DD 5:1 if they were originally released in that format.
Furthermore, it’s not up to the sat provider to determine the audio, they simply pass what is uplinked from the source.

You asked if Directv or Dish will offer Dolby Digital broadcasting. They do, all you have to do is have HD programming and you will get 5.1 Dolby Digital.

As for pay per view.

HD programming pay per view will mostly likely have 5.1 Dolby Digital

Standard programming pay per view you get what they send ya.

If you want Dolby Digital you do not have to use pay per view to get it but it’s nice when it is there.

Also good to note that the program guides are almost always wrong about what audio is to be broadcast.

Yup. :iagree:

I am quite puzzled by you and platnumsword statements.

Are either of you connected in any way to Dish Network? You both seem to be more privy to the way Dish Network broadcasts it’s signals than they are.

I have talked to at least 6 different Dish techs in regards to this subject and have recieved the same answer from all of them, and none of the answers coinside with either of your statements.

They all state that if there is not a (DD) designation in the program or movie info, it is not being broadcast in Dolby Digital.

Also that (HD) designates high definition video.

They also stated that (Stereo) designates use of the rear speakers.

I would hope that the two of you would state facts, instead of the biased responses so far.

[QUOTE=rlmack;2123759]I am quite puzzled by you and platnumsword statements.

Are either of you connected in any way to Dish Network? You both seem to be more privy to the way Dish Network broadcasts it’s signals than they are.

I have talked to at least 6 different Dish techs in regards to this subject and have recieved the same answer from all of them, and none of the answers coinside with either of your statements.

They all state that if there is not a (DD) designation in the program or movie info, it is not being broadcast in Dolby Digital.

Also that (HD) designates high definition video.

They also stated that (Stereo) designates use of the rear speakers.

I would hope that the two of you would state facts, instead of the biased responses so far.[/QUOTE]

Your first mistake is to believe anything a CSR rep from Dish tells you. I don’t know what else to say except that the program guide almost never denotes DD when it’s there. And, every single HD channel uses DD audio with no exceptions. I’ll repeat that, DD is the broadcast standard for HDTV and Dish is no exception. I just checked, and I currently have about 25 HD channels sending 5:1 audio.

Why, we are giving it to ya as it is.

I called relatives who reside in the USA, they have Dish Network and their HD programming comes with 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Obviously there is some communication issues or something that is not being relayed properly because of a misunderstanding of the topic at hand.

Designations are not necessarily always correct.

We know this so you don’t have to keep repeating yourself. We are stating that high quality audio comes with it. Which is Dolby Digital. Do you think Dish Network would have customers if they were giving all the HD programming without high quality sound?

That is incorrect, Stereo denotes the use of the left and right front speakers.

We are stating facts, none which have been biased. Do you really think we would sit here and mislead you?