SATA vs IDE - Which to Choose

vbimport

I’m looking to purchase a new DVD burner for my computer but am not sure how to determine which one to choose as far as the differences between SATA and IDE. My computer is relatively newer (2+ years) Dell XPS, XP Pro, fully updated and well taken care of…other than kicking it every once in a while :p. Which should I purchase, or does this really matter? I’m checking out Newegg right now and it looks like the majority are SATA but I don’t want to purchase and end up finding out that I have to return it.

If someone could give me a little insight on which burner to choose, this would also be helpful. I’ve been browsing CD Freaks for the last few days and have seen a lot of good reviews on the Lite-On’s but there a few different ones to choose from and the wealth of information on this site can sometimes create more questions than answers. To say the least, I’ve learned more about burning in the last few days than I ever have and I’ve been using computers for a long time.

I recently started using Nero CD-DVD Speed and would like to be able to use all the functions available in the disk quality section (jitter & PO failures) where my current burner does not have this ability.

Do you know what chipset is in your Dell?

For instance, my Dell Dimension E520 (all SATA) has an Intel chipset (ICH8R).

Reason I ask is that some chipsets play better with SATA optical drives than others. :slight_smile:

BTW, only BenQ (IDE) drives report POF…and possibly Plextor? Both of which may be hard to get hold of now. LiteOn drives don’t report POF sadly.

more than likely your system is going to be SATA but lets get a model number. you may just have both available. :slight_smile:

edit// hi Arachne

Thanks for the quick reply

I’m looking in my device manager and am seeing a lot of ICH7’s under my System Devices section. I’m assuming this could be my chipset.

Hey Troy,

The model number is 400/9150

Intel. :slight_smile:

Since my own Intel system works fine (2 SATA DVD drives installed), I would imagine yours might too.

The choice is yours, as they say…give SATA a go, or stick with what’s known to work perfectly on your own system (IDE) :slight_smile:

(Hi Troy ;))

I’m looking at my motherboard and there are three spare ports for SATA cables so I’m assuming I can plug the DVD burner into one of them…please correct me if I’m wrong. The current burner I have has the IDE cable (thanks for the links Troy). It looks like I’ll have to purchase a SATA cable unless the burners come with one?

Another question just came to mind…the power receptacle looks to be different than the IDE’s as well. I have one spare but it’s way too far to stretch to where the DVD burner will go. Are there adapters that I can purchase that will allow me to plug the SATA into the old receptacles or would I just be wasting my time/money? Are there any benefits/drawbacks to using IDE as compared to SATA?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to make sure I’m doing this one time only. When purchasing online, the fun is the waiting for the new toy to come in and if it doesn’t work…well, you get the picture.

Arachne, I forgot to reply to the other half of your original reply…I could make a sacrifice on the POF if need be but I’d definitely like to have the jitter function.

Not sure about the power adapter thing, maybe someone else can answer that one.

If you buy a burner as “OEM” or “Bulk”, chances are you’ll also need to buy an additional SATA cable. If you buy a “Retail” boxed drive, cable should come with it.

As to which drive, if you want jitter, that narrows it down to LiteOn, as per your original post. :slight_smile:

I went with the IDE…there are adapters but I don’t want to have to spend a bunch of money just in install a new DVD burner. Here’s what I decided to purchase:

Lite-On DH-20A4P-04 along with a 100 pack of the Verbatim 95098 DVD+R’s for a little more than $43…plus an $8 rebate on the disks and free shipping. Can’t say this is too bad of a deal for $35!

Thanks for the assistance!

Definitely a nice deal :iagree:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2189462]Definitely a nice deal :iagree:[/QUOTE]

enjoy :smiley: