Sata vs IDE for 4 burner duping with Nero

vbimport

I am building a custom computer for media production. I want to be able to use Nero 6.5 to copy 4 DVD’s from a single image file. I do a fair amount of multimedia production and hate to copy only two at a time.

It will have:
Intel Q6600 (not overclocked)
4GB RAM Cruicial
Seagate 500MB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Boot Drive
Seagate 250MB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Scratch Drive
Seagate 750MB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Data Drive
Seagate 750MB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Data Backup Drive
Win XP 32
750W+ Power Supply
Asus MB (not decided but probably P5K Pro)

My question is:

1. Are SATA burners better than ATA for this purpose?
  2. If I had 2 of the SATA burners hooked up to the onboard SATA ports and 2 hooked up to a SATA board installed in the PCI-e 1X slot will it work OK for duping?
  3. I am looking at the LG GSA-H62K and the Samsung S203B drives - is it better to use only one brand or should I do 50/50.
  4. I know the Samsung got the readers choice but I would like feedback on the LG drive. I need to write DVD-RAM so Pioneer is not an option.

Any comments or thoughts welcome!
Thanks

DM

:cool:

Welcome to CDF’s:

I would say a dupe machine would work way better.

I have thought about a dedicated duper but have too much stuff in the office already - was hoping to eliminate it.

I have done dual IDE Panasonic burners with Nero it and it works just fine. Was wondering if any folks had tried dual or quad burning with SATA drives. . .
DM

Well have a look at this thread > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/dare-burn-2-verb-r-dls-once-226212/

So yeah it’s possible. Just not recommended.

[QUOTE=digitalmyths;2038120]I have thought about a dedicated duper but have too much stuff in the office already - was hoping to eliminate it.

I have done dual IDE Panasonic burners with Nero it and it works just fine. Was wondering if any folks had tried dual or quad burning with SATA drives. . .
DM[/QUOTE]

There’s a lot more to this that meets the eye. If you are burning 4 copies of the same project simultaneously, then it’s a tad easier. But the drives must ALL be identical in every way, media must be identical too, and the drives must each be alone on one channel. (SATA accomplishes this). Even then, odds are 50/50 that you’ll finish the burn without issues unless you burn at 8x or lower.

If you intend to burn different projects simultaneously, then you open a BIG can of worms.

Thanks for the info - I am fine with 8X burns since I am striving for durability and not speed - from what I understand slower burns are more archival than high speed burns (less problems).

Sounds like the safe course is to get 3-4 identical SATA drives and try that.

I am only trying to burn multiple copies of the same disc image not different projects at one time.

DM

If you look at what beefbarley did, you don’t need the same drives…

Go back and see what he used.

I just love this line… :flower:
[Never heard of sata drives sharing “channels”, but anyway.]

Care to enlighten us how you’ll be able achieve this in real world*. :smiley:

• this ofcourse also amplifying to the basics given by OP.

My 3 sata LG’s burn nicely simultaneously even @ 20X on MCC004 media. No significant differences in Q/S vs. single burns. (Nero 7.10.12)

Just an update now that I finally got my system up and running -

Using 4 identical LG burners
Q6600 at stock speed with 4GB of RAM
Nero 6.6
TDK 16X DVD-R media (CMC)
Burn and verification time about 10 Minutes for the 4 discs

Used a singke 4.5GB ISO image file form a 750GB Seagage Barracuda HD and burned simualtaneously to all burners - Results 4 good discs

Watched CPU load with monitoring software and it just putted along -

Am continuing to test and will update as I have more info.