Sata V/s Ide/atapi

Hi!
I plan to buy 755SA.

Is there any problems associated with SATA compared to IDE/ATAPI.

Will I be able to directly boot from my SATA DVD-drive or in case I format my PC, will I be able to load my operating system like windowds XP,XP-64 or Linux.
What is the advantage of SATA over IDE/ATAPI

Pls advice whic one is prefrable.

in my opinion, the only advantage of the SATA versions are simpler cable management which, in some cases, also leads to better airflow in your case. if you have available IDE channels, i’d save your SATA ports for hard drives which benefit from the technology and stick to IDE for your optical drives…

i’d give the Plextor Motherboard Compatibility thread a read and search this section of the forums for anecdotal evidence of SATA issues…pretty much any/all of them have been discussed here in the past…

welcome to CDFreaks too!

drpino,
Thanks a lot.

I would checl Plextors site too.

It appears that both the 755 and the 755-SA using the same firmwares/updates.

(Most) Modern SATA chips have BIOS support, so DOS (And thus boot CDs) will work on them, unlike the stupid older ones where you couldn’t even install Windows on a SATA drive if you didn’t have a floppy disk with the driver on it!

However, aside from hard disks, SATA drives don’t seem to be as mature as their ATA counter parts. The 716SA seems to have had a lot of troubles, esp. with Firmware updates and such.

Thanks a lot to everyone for there suggestion. It helped me to make up my mind. Based on above I purchased 760A. Hope its a good burner and live upto its epectations.
Plextor also don’t have suitable reply.
As of now conclusion is ATA is a better and safe option otherwise in case you have lot of money to experiment.
Cheers
:smiley:

good choice, let us know how you like your 760A.

AFAIK, the SA drives are exactly the same as the A drives except for the interface. they use the same firmwares, so i’m not sure your comment above is true.

Yup, I also think the SA version is the one to go.

drpino

I’m not sure where you are getting your information on Plextor SATA burners. My two sons and I have had PX-716SA’s in our computers for the last year. Last month I replaced one of my PX-716SA’s with a PX-755SA. I also have a PX760A in my system and I have found that I get much better and more realiable performance out of my SATA burners.

Does the motherboard you are using make a difference? It certainly does. If your motherboard does not have SATA connectors and you install and SATA card, then you might have issues.

My son’s and I all run the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboards which have three (3) IDE connectors and four (4) SATA connectors, so we have had no problems at all and we all get great performance with our burners.

Eric

I’ve gone through multiple motherboard upgrades with my PX-716SA and never had a chipset problem. All of my drives are now SATA. When I look through my case window, I don’t see those stupid IDE cables anymore. Good riddance :slight_smile: .

There have been many documented issues with the Plextor SATA burners and Nvidia’s nForce chipsets. Some were resolved with driver updates while others still exist. If I understand it correctly, the issue is with standard compliance. There isn’t much incentive for the drive makers to make SATA drives if they won’t work in all of the potential systems.

Intel (chipset) based systems don’t suffer from these, so it’s no surprise you haven’t experienced any problems. :iagree:

I couldn’t agree with you more [I]No Limit[/I], I would love for the rest of the industry to move forward and send PATA to the scrap heap.

Eric545, there is absolutely no difference in performance between PATA and SATA versions of optical drives. any difference you’ve experienced can and should be chalked up to varying quality betweeen individual drives and NOT the interface.

i’m glad you haven’t run into any compatibility issues, but everything i’ve said in this thread is true…

Thank you all, due to above issues, I did not buy SATA, caus there is definately compatiblity issue with SATA and even Plextor also dont confirm that there will be no issues, specially if you want to boot through SATA DVD. And definately I do have Nvidia chipset motherboard which is Giga-byte K8NXP-SLI. Does anyone installed SATA on it and can boot direct from CD/DVD rom.
Pls share information.
Cheers
Arvind

I’m no expert concerning Giga-byte Mobos but this is Plextors (non exhaustive) list for the 755SA: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PX-755SA%20motherboard%20compatability%20listing.htm

You’ll find the lists for the 716SA and 712SA here: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_compatability.html In theory a controller that supports one SA drive should support them all.

Thanks for the link. Actually I had strong desire to go for SATA, simply because its the latest and I have plenty of SATA unused port. But after searching a lot I was not sure if SATA will work or not. As I searched internet, I got doubt on SATA.
Plextor should put this issue on there website and market there SATA well.
Thanks for the information, I goona help some one surely.
Cheers

755SA worked fine here on an Asus A8N SLI board (nForce4 SLI chipset).

There’s no advantage to sata and dvd burners, nice addition for hard drives tho.
Do plextor sata burners do anything better than any other pata burner, NO!
Is there a possibilty that you will experience problems with a sata burner and your mobo? Yes! Like a lot of things, it’s an idea ahead of it’s time, more marketing
ploys by plex to enhance the myth that they continue to produce premium products.
I got burned big time on a plex 712, they just need to get back to basics and do what they did with cd burners and produce the best product on the market and then support it with adequate and prompt firmware. I would clean house with the dvd burner division.

I for one, applaud Plextor for being forward thinking. It isn’t their fault that Nvidia and other’s aren’t making compliant chipsets. Perhaps if other drive makers followed suit, the issue would resolve itself sooner, but as previously stated there isn’t any real reason for them to… yet.

It’s not a ‘truth’, just an observation - We had a fair no. of people posting about problems with their 716SA’s early on - The general problem was pretty much down to chipset compatibilities vs the drives bridge chips (AFAIK, the 716SA is actually a 716A with a SATA bridge chip in it!).

We had a bunch of people brick their drives when they flashed them because of this, and it’s mainly that observation that sparked my comment. The part about non-hard disk SATA drives not being as mature as plain old ATA is probably a ‘truth’ 'tho.

SATA is still bleeding-edge tech, and I occasionally trip over some weird problem with it now and again. Heck, a few weeks ago we found that 2nd gen SATA HD was constantly corrupting data, and ended up having to upgrade the motherboard’s SATA drivers and flash the hard-disk firmware!

I currently recommend ATA for reliability and SATA for speed (For instance, my SATA drive is only for games and video editing stuff; I still use my ATA’s for everything else. The performance difference is non-existant anyway!)

I just wish SCSI was cheaper!! The damned controllers still haven’t BUDGED in price!
Mmm… 300GB SCSI Ultra320 hard disk… cost more than most of my machine…! (£600!!!)

it’s more a case of the SATA controller’s not being “mature” enough to support ATAPI commands, not the drive(s).

IMO, SATA is not necessarily “bleeding edge” tech anymore either. keeping drivers and firmwares updated is standard practice and isn’t necessarily indicative of a given technology’s “maturity” per se.