SATA to EIDE/ATAPI convertor/adapter?

My current Sony CD-RW burner is an EIDE/ATAPI unit, but I’m thinking of buying a Samsung SH-S203B or SH-S183L, which are only available in SATA. Do I need to buy some kind of convertor or adapter?

Hi :slight_smile:
Most folk appear to be going with a PCI SATA Contoller card.
If you take this route.
Make sure the card is based on the SiliconImage series of chipsets.
These give the least problems as you should be able to flash to bios.
As well as having suitable drivers for ODD’s.

Hi,[QUOTE=audiodrome;1929903]My current Sony CD-RW burner is an EIDE/ATAPI unit, but I’m thinking of buying a Samsung SH-S203B or SH-S183L, which are only available in SATA. Do I need to buy some kind of convertor or adapter?[/QUOTE]If your mainboard is already equipped with SATA connectors, then no additional adapter is needed.
It is also depending on the mainboard chipset since there are some SATA controllers that are not supporting optical drives very well. In that case, a SATA controller card is highly recommended.

Alternatively, there are PATA versions of the drives you mentioned above, available.

Michael

Excuse my ignorance, but if I buy the PATA version instead of the SATA, will that solve the problem?

Hi,[QUOTE=audiodrome;1930566]Excuse my ignorance, but if I buy the PATA version instead of the SATA, will that solve the problem?[/QUOTE]Somehow I missed a description of your system, at least of your mainboard and the drives that are connected. Without that information, nobody can tell you if there is a problem at all.

If you want to replace your existing drive, then your are indeed fine with any P-ATA drive that fits your needs. This might also apply, if you have only one optical drive installed and you want to add a second one (provided, there is one free P-ATA channel available).

Michael