SATA replacement for NEC 3520A hacked to burn DVD-ROM?

I have a 3520A that I’ve used for years now and I have hacked firmware that allows me to burn DVD+R as DVD-ROM. I use this burner regularly to burn a specific disc that is played in a certain playback device that is VERY picky about media, burners and software. I’ve managed to get perfectly working copies of DL media with this burner for some time now but recently upgraded my PC and it’s all SATA so I don’t have IDE or LP4 plugs for my 3520A. The next drive doesn’t have to be a NEC either and it looks like there’s a Samsung that’s pretty popular these days. I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on best possible replacement for my perfectly functioning 3520A that was inexpensive and reliably burned DVD-ROM booktype.

Thanks for the help!

SATA replacement for NEC 3520A hacked to [B]burn DVD-ROM?[/B]

DVD-ROM is Read only, pressed media.
DVD-ROM booktype is only about the booktype, not the mediatype. :wink:
Check out this review: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/cdfreaks-presents-samsung-sh-s203b-dvd-burner-review-228208/

This is a great replacement

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/search.tsb?Ne=11&N=296+4294928872+4294941684

[quote=chef;2040778]DVD-ROM is Read only, pressed media.
DVD-ROM booktype is only about the booktype, not the mediatype. :wink:
Check out this review: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/cdfreaks-presents-samsung-sh-s203b-dvd-burner-review-228208/[/quote]

I realize it’s not a physical media type. I’m aware it’s a booktype but what I’m saying is that I need a drive that is capable of doing that. It’s been a couple years since I researched all of this but at the time I had to buy a NEC 3520A and hack the firmware to burn DVD+R’s as booktype DVD-ROM. This is necessary for the end units I’m using to read them.

So, has a lot changed in the realm of DVD burners in that they will all do this now w/o special steps or ??

[quote=jcusimano2;2040820]This is a great replacement

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/search.tsb?Ne=11&N=296+4294928872+4294941684[/quote]

Link doesn’t seem to work.

You could keep the 3520A and get PCI IDE card if you have open PCI slot. You’d need to choose carefully if you did that since some PCI adapter chipsets may not work correctly with optical drives. If the Pioneer 2xx models (SATA) are as good as 1xx models (ATA), I’d choose Pioneer, but I’ve only used ATA models. I have an old DVR-107D that still works perfectly albeit at 8x only with no bit setting. About a year and a half ago I got a 111D that was cross flashed to 111L to gain bit setting for same reasons as you for your NEC 3520A, and I liked it so well I got a second one just before the 111D was replaced by the 112D. You may want to check Pioneer forum to be sure current SATA models can be cross flashed to gain bit setting.

A little confused by a couple of the things you typed here as far as lingo. When you say ‘cross flashed’ I assume thats just a different phrase to describe ‘hacking the firmware’ and ‘bit setting’ is another term to describe burning as DVD-ROM booktype? I also assume bit setting means burning the info exact w/o any interaction but wasn’t aware that’s what DVD-ROM booktype was doing. Sorry for the n00b questions but it appears that a few things have changed (in terminology at least) since I was well read on this stuff several years ago.

Sorry here click this this a brand new optiarc sata drive excellent quality burner/just came out good price

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/part_detail.tsb?prcpart=SOPAD-7200S-0B&categoryid=&Ne=11&N=296+4294929092+4294941714

[quote=jcusimano2;2041642]Sorry here click this this a brand new optiarc sata drive excellent quality burner/just came out good price

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/part_detail.tsb?prcpart=SOPAD-7200S-0B&categoryid=&Ne=11&N=296+4294929092+4294941714[/quote]

If they had it in black for the same price I might be interested. I’m most interested in something that will for SURE burn DVD+R’s a DVD-ROM booktype. That’s step #1 because even then there’s no guarantee that the burner will jive with the players it needs to burn for.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard
The Latest Pioneer’s can be made to Bitset DVD+R > DVD-ROM.
Using ala42’s MCSE.
See [B][U]here[/U][/B]:
It can only be a matter of weeks, if not days. Before patched f/w for the NEC’s will be available too.

[quote=zebadee;2041656]Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard
The Latest Pioneer’s can be made to Bitset DVD+R > DVD-ROM.
Using ala42’s MCSE.
See [B][U]here[/U][/B]:
It can only be a matter of weeks, if not days. Before patched f/w for the NEC’s will be available too.[/quote]

Thanks for the post. Looks like that Pioneer 215D can be had in black for about $30 plus shipping. Not too bad. That firmware flash is for Europe… is that a concern?

Also, I’ve had great luck with the NEC and would prefer wait for a SATA version that can be flashed but I’m concerned I won’t have time. I may be able to set up my old PC to continue burning in the mean time but I would really not have $700 tied up in a machine strictly for burning copies of a single disc. I’m tempted to order that Pioneer and give it a shot.

Then again, can that Samsung posted earlier (SH-S203B) be flashed to do DVD-ROM and is it available in black?

This could fit the bill.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S203B-DVD-Burner-Review/Advanced-tests.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

I found that Samsung in black and it’s also $30 but has free 3-day shipping so the only question left is can I change the firmware to burn DVD+R’s as DVD-ROM booktype? If this exists I think I found my next drive. One thing I did notice is that it looks like it will only burn DL media at 12x so I’m not sure where they’re getting 16x in that review. Perhaps there’s a firmware teak that allows for faster burn speeds??

After reading some of the specs on the review it says that it ‘Supports BitSetting (BookType DVD-ROM) on DVD+R/RW/DL’ which I think is what I need but am still not 100% on terminology. Also, does ‘supports’ mean I need to find some firmware to flash it with or is this now something it’s capable of out of the box?

The Samsung SH-S203B burns DVD+R DL at 16x and DVD-R DL at 12x. But you will need to find media supported at these speeds. :smiley: Bitsetting (booktype DVD-ROM) can only be triggered from the burning application on these drives.

The 7200S/7203S has bitsetting firmware now. Just follow the firmware link in my signature.

The likely reason that your ‘picky’ device likes the discs burned on your existing NEC drive is probably because the NEC burns discs with low jitter values. Don’t expect this with the Samsung drive.

The 7200/7203 burns discs with lower jitter, as does the Pioneer DVR-215. But the Optiarc is better IMO and is certainly faster.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2041672]The Samsung SH-S203B burns [B]DVD-R DL[/B] at 16x and [B]DVD-R DL[/B] at 12x.[/QUOTE]For some reason that doesn’t look right Dee :wink:

I made a typo. Sue me :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2041675]I made a typo. Sue me :stuck_out_tongue: :D[/QUOTE]I guess i’m worse than Albert at times :flower:

Actually it might burn -R DL’s at both speeds…

Hi :slight_smile:
Someone is definitely missing A plus :doh:
& I am getting too slow. (Already fixed).
Never checked L&D’s page either (don’t currently have any NEC drives). :doh: :eek:

[quote=Dee-27;2041672]The Samsung SH-S203B burns DVD+R DL at 16x and DVD-R DL at 12x. But you will need to find media supported at these speeds. :smiley: Bitsetting (booktype DVD-ROM) can only be triggered from the burning application on these drives.

The 7200S/7203S has bitsetting firmware now. Just follow the firmware link in my signature.

The likely reason that your ‘picky’ device likes the discs burned on your existing NEC drive is probably because the NEC burns discs with low jitter values. Don’t expect this with the Samsung drive.

The 7200/7203 burns discs with lower jitter, as does the Pioneer DVR-215. But the Optiarc is better IMO and is certainly faster.[/quote]

That sounds like what I need then.

I can’t seem to find the 7200S or 7203S for sale at the usual places I look (Newegg for instance). Where’s the best price on this drive?

[QUOTE=OstrichSak;2041688]That sounds like what I need then.

I can’t seem to find the 7200S or 7203S for sale at the usual places I look (Newegg for instance). Where’s the best price on this drive?[/QUOTE]I live in the UK so i can’t help with availability or prices in the USA. Perhaps some of our USA members can help out here. :wink: