SATA replacement for BENQ 1640 vs IDE controller

vbimport

Hi,

I am going to buy a new computer (motherboard Intel DX58SO with Intel® X58 Express Chipset and I7-920 processor) with no support for IDE drives.

Now I am very pleased with my BENQ DW1640.

The questions is:

Is there a SATA burners that matches the BENQ 1640 quality?
Or should I get an IDE controller ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers.
Val

P.S. I don’t know if this is the right place or should I have posted it in “CD and DVD Burners”.

Depends on how much are you willing to spend to buy a IDE pci controller card? How old is your BenQ or is it time to replace it with another BenQ that has Sata connectors? Also they have IDE to Sata adapter but I haven’t tried them myself so can’t give a review on them. But I do know Amazon does sell them. Also if you go with adapter make sure you jumper the pin to MS other wise it won’t work properly.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2168386]Depends on how much are you willing to spend to buy a IDE pci controller card? How old is your BenQ or is it time to replace it with another BenQ that has Sata connectors? Also they have IDE to Sata adapter but I haven’t tried them myself so can’t give a review on them. But I do know Amazon does sell them. Also if you go with adapter make sure you jumper the pin to MS other wise it won’t work properly.[/QUOTE]

It’s not a matter of price, although I don’t know exactly how much does it cost a good IDE controller for my motherboard.

By now I just need an advice in which direction (threads) do I have to look for:

• best SATA burner
  • best IDE controller

In threads about burners I read:

"I think the Samsung SH-S203B (SATA) drive is the best thing since the BenQ DW1640"
"no one makes or made a better 16x burner then the DW165* series. Period. " “But many appreciate the 1640 better”

So it seems that I cannot get the same “quality” from a SATA burner.

But I don’t understand if an IDE controller for optical drive is a reliable solution or not (I have read of so many problems).

Sorry, I’m a little bit confused.

Please, show me the way.

Cheers.
Val

P.S. My Benq 1640 is almost 3 years old and was intensively used.

Hi,

assuming you want to keep your Benq (I personally would), there are two options besides the already mentioned Sata/IDE converter:

• a PCI controller card (Silicon Image 0680A chipset with flashable Bios)
  • crossflash the drive to EW-164B firmware and an external enclosure.

Michael