Sata Ports on Motherboard not working

vbimport

I have a windows PC and the two sata (which I my hard drive connects to) ports on the motherboard have stopped working. It appears to be just the two ports, I was able to connect an IDE hard drive to it and it worked and I was able to connect my hard drive to another computer and that worked as well. Any ideas on how I can get either those ports to start working again would be very helpful, thanks.

Can you give more info as to what mobo you have? And did you try to updated the BIOS and is it in warranty still? WIthout knowing what mobo you have giving help is hard to do here. So we need more info on the mobo?? How old is your computer as well? So if you wan’t more help you have to be more specific and give more details.

It took me a bit of searching but I believe my motherboard is a MS-7184 (AmethystM). I found the specification at the HP website (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00378480&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us)

I havn’t tried to update the BIOS and theres no warrenty, the computer is from 2005.

The computer is a HP Pavilion a1250n. It was working fine then one day I turned it on and it was saying there was no hard drive connected.

[QUOTE=nemesis688;2479531]It took me a bit of searching but I believe my motherboard is a MS-7184 (AmethystM). I found the specification at the HP website (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00378480&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us)

I havn’t tried to update the BIOS and theres no warrenty, the computer is from 2005.

The computer is a HP Pavilion a1250n. It was working fine then one day I turned it on and it was saying there was no hard drive connected.[/QUOTE]

I would check to see if your connections between your HDD and mobo is connected firmly. Cause over time connections do work themselves loose as to why can be a number of cause being old and if you opened the case and dislodged a connection and didn’t realize it. So go back and update the BIOS if there is a new version and clean and dust out the inside of the computer as well as check all power and hardware wire connections are connected and tight. And then turn your computer back on again. But as you mentioned how you connected a IDE to you computer and it worked so that means it still a working mobo for now but did you hook your sata drive to another computer and see if it sees the sata drive and if it doesn’t that means the drive is no longer working. You didn’t mentioned whether the sata was the main HDD or not?? If it is then just hook it to a working computer with a working main HDD and see if it will detect and broswe the HDD from you computer. That is one way to test if the sata HDD is still working. Beyond that if the sata ports did fails you still have the IDE but since everything is going sata it might be time to decide whether to get a new or build a new computer that will still work.

At the bottom of the link you provided , did you try doing the Clear CMOS part.

Then when you go back into the Bios you can make sure the Bios is seeing the sata HDD and make sure it is set as the boot up device.

Can you test the HDD in another PC? The drive may have failed, have you noticed any clicking sounds? When you start the PC can you feel any vibrations or sounds from the drive indicating that its running?

@ nemesis688

When it worked in the other computer did you have it by itself as the master /single or did you connect it as a secondary drive ?

Sounds like the bios got messed up , could be virus problem. If clearing the cmos does not work , re-hook back into the other computer and run malwarebytes on it and see what you come up with.