SATA or PATA/IDE?

Hi,

I’ll be looking to replace both my current Lite-On LH-20A1P drives soon as they have seen a fair bit of action and are close to their duty cycle limit.

I’ve never had a SATA optical drive before and wondered if there are pro’s & con’s???

Or is it just teh natural progression and that SATA drives are better??

Cheers

:bigsmile:

Hi,

SATA and PATA drives share basically the same hardware, only the interface is different.

If you have native PATA controllers, then stick with PATA, since there are some SATA controllers that don’t support SATA optical drives properly. This applies especially for many VIA based controllers.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1935668]Hi,

SATA and PATA drives share basically the same hardware, only the interface is different.

If you have native PATA controllers, then stick with PATA, since there are some SATA controllers that don’t support SATA optical drives properly. This applies especially for many VIA based controllers.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Cheers

As I’m now going to be getting a new Mobo I may well go for the SATA option then and forget about IDE all together as it is quite ancient now!! lol

Now I just gotta figure out which drives to get!!

I would replace with the same type you already have (IDE/SATA).

[QUOTE=THE C.;1935902]I would replace with the same type you already have (IDE/SATA).[/QUOTE]

Why??

:eek:

Hi,[QUOTE=jumney1;1935894]
As I’m now going to be getting a new Mobo I may well go for the SATA option then and forget about IDE all together as it is quite ancient now!![/quote]With new mainboards, espacially with Intel chipsets, PATA controllers are vanishing. In this case, SATA drives might be the better option.

Michael

[QUOTE=jumney1;1935894]
Now I just gotta figure out which drives to get!![/QUOTE]

SH-S203 series, either B or N