SATA ODDs likely to take over ATAPI by end of 2007

I just posted the article SATA ODDs likely to take over ATAPI by end of 2007.

The majority of hard disk drives sold today feature a serial ATA (SATA) interface, however, with some motherboards having difficulty with serial ATA optical drives, most optical drives sold are still…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13349-SATA-ODDs-likely-to-take-over-ATAPI-by-end-of-2007.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13349-SATA-ODDs-likely-to-take-over-ATAPI-by-end-of-2007.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

God, I hope so!! Intel says that they likely won’t support PATA in at least one of their newer chipsets in the next batch (which are going by a 1-letter and only 2-number model naming system) Now they just need to confirm that they’re removing the long-obsolete floppy interface and we’ll be set. Next stop: SATA III

Intel already doesn’t support PATA. All 965 chipset motherboards that have PATA connectors are based on third party JMicron controller.

I have an ABIT AW9D-Max and the thing only has one IDE connecter compared to 8 SATA connectors. The only problem I see using the SATA interface is when the Intel chipset doesn’t drive it. My board, fortunatley, has 4 SATA connectors that are supported by the Intel chipset. This made installing the OS a breeze.

“All 965 chipset motherboards that have PATA connectors are based on third party JMicron controller.” I would still say it’s supported by them, since even Intel offers it on their own motherboards and is part of the reference board design specs. I should’ve said that the new motherboards using those new chipsets no longer have PATA as part of the standard design specs, and Intel plans on removing the option altogether on most of their motherboards, except on only a few value-level boards, as well as possibly their Extreme-series boards, which often have an additional 3rd-party drive controller anyway.