SATA Lite-On DH20A3L can read but can't burn CD\DVD

vbimport

My Setup:
Compaq Presario SR1500NX - AMD Sempron 3000+, 2GHZ, 1.256 GB DDR400, Palit 7300GT Sonic AGP graphics card.
Asus A7V8x-LA Kelut motherboard with 2 IDE slots and 2 SATA ports,
IDE1 Master- 80GB HDD, IDE2 Master - 60GB HDD, IDE2 Slave - Lite-On CD-RW, SATA1-Lite-On DH20A3L.

To the helpful CDFreaks community,

I happen by chance to learn about this forum and I feel this is the best place to ask for information & help.
My DH20A3L can read DVDs and in fact I was able to install PC DVD Games and watch DVD movies using VLC Player.
However, I can’t burn DVDs or CDs. I have also loaded the Lite-On firmware EP5A from their website. Also, I have installed the Via Hyperion 4-in-1 chipset drivers for my IDE & SATA controllers. DMA in all IDE channels is activated.
Another thing in that after I installed the Nero 7 Essentials that comes with the SATA DVD drive, I can’t open open the Nero utilities immediately and all my other software utilities like “Starter” or “RegSeeker”. My computer freezes up and hangs. You double click on something and nothing happens. Then when I opened task manager(luckily I can still access this) I found out that the processes of the programs that I can’t open has already been started.
So, since I can’t use Nero I tried other freeware DVD burners like ImgBurn, AVS Disc Creator, FinalBurner Free but they can’t see my SATA Lite-On DVD Drive, except for AVS Disc Creator. However, in AVS Disc Creator, When I insert a new DVD-RW disc, the utility software can’t see my new disc even if windows has already seen it as a “DVD-RW”, the drive is still listed as “No Disc”. I don’t know if this is important, but I also noticed that in Windows- My Computer after inserting a new dvd disc the drive notation will change from “K: DVD-RAM” to K: CD-Drive" :confused:
I hope that all my observations will be helpful to solve my problem. If you need to know more please feel free to ask.

Unfortunately if you search around, you’ll find people having issues using SATA drives with the VIA chipset. I don’t recall what they have done to resolve the issue, but most of the time, a PCI-to-SATA expansion card based on the Silicon Image 3112/3512/3114 chipset has been recommended.

[QUOTE=KTL;2079389]Unfortunately if you search around, you’ll find people having issues using SATA drives with the VIA chipset. I don’t recall what they have done to resolve the issue, but most of the time, a PCI-to-SATA expansion card based on the Silicon Image 3112/3512/3114 chipset has been recommended.[/QUOTE]

Thanks KTL, at least now I know my problem is hardware related and not something that I didn’t do or something I did wrong. And If there are anyone else who have any opinions or suggestions they are most welcome.