SATA-IDE converter for Plextor ODD

vbimport

Hey there,

anyone knows a SATA-> IDE converter that works with a PX-760A?
I want to get rid of that ‘big’ IDE cable :slight_smile:

If I’m not wrong, the 760 is an IDE drive, so you need an IDE --> SATA adapter, not a SATA --> IDE.

The best solution in my opinion is to get a round IDE cable that is easier to install and lesser cumbersome in the case than flat cables.

Maybe this is what you are searching for, but I have no idea if it will work correctly :frowning:

I’ve tried 4 different models of that style IDE>SATA adapter, unable to get any to work properly with an optical drive in spite of their claims of compatability. I agree with geno888, a round IDE cable is your best bet . They come in neat neon colors, too :cool:.

[QUOTE=geno888;2479642]Maybe this is what you are searching for, but I have no idea if it will work correctly :([/QUOTE]

That part will convert the motherboard IDE-Controller into an SATA one. That will not help to connect an IDE drive to an SATA-only motherboard.

Rather look at adapters like this one.

I’m successfully using the SATA-to-IDE version of that one to connect an SATA writer to my motherboard that has no more free SATA ports but two IDE controllers left. Nierle doesn’t seem to carry them. It’s one of
these and it works fine with optical drives so far.

Oh, and I’d advise against round IDE cables. They have a long history of looking cool while messing up the signals they’re supposed to carry.

Actually the description of the item I suggested starts with “This adapter makes it possible to connect different IDE devices, for example hard discs, DVD- and CD-ROM drives to an SATA port on your mainboard”, so we’re probably speaking about the same thing.

The only difference with the item you suggest is that mine works both ways, so there is no need to get two separate adapters :wink:

[QUOTE=hwp;2479730]Oh, and I’d advise against round IDE cables. They have a long history of looking cool while messing up the signals they’re supposed to carry.[/QUOTE]

I use round cables in my computer and I never had problems. Actually, I use 60cm cables, and even if they are out of specifications, these works very well for me. The main point IMO is to use good quality cables, either flat or round :bigsmile:

Old thread, I know… But was there actually ever an actual factory-made SATA version of the PX-716/760A?

Mine is the IDE version and migrating it to a new computer is looking to be an issue as the motherboard has no IDE support.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Yes there was.

The SATA models have a “SA” suffix to the model name. Search for PX-716SA or PX-760SA.