SATA HD says not formatted in windows 7 or xp

Ok, i had a complete system running windows 7 and i just did a new build. I took my sata hd’s out of the first build and used them in the new build. I had a 320g and a 1tb. I installed the 320g by itself and installed w7. Now i plugged in my 1tb that was in my previous system as a slave with all of my personal files that i had backed up and it says that the drive is not formatted. I can go to my computer and it is there, went to disk management and it is active but it only shows like 32mb i think. All my files are on this drive…any help? when i go to properties of my computer it has
partition style:master boot record (mbr)
capacity 32 mb

[QUOTE=AWILLIAMS64;2578359]Ok, i had a complete system running windows 7 and i just did a new build. I took my sata hd’s out of the first build and used them in the new build. I had a 320g and a 1tb. I installed the 320g by itself and installed w7. Now i plugged in my 1tb that was in my previous system as a slave with all of my personal files that i had backed up and it says that the drive is not formatted. I can go to my computer and it is there, went to disk management and it is active but it only shows like 32mb i think. All my files are on this drive…any help? when i go to properties of my computer it has
partition style:master boot record (mbr)
capacity 32 mb[/QUOTE]

Sata doesn’t have MS or SL like PATA(IDE) have you have to setup the drive in the BIOS setup to recognize the drives themselves. Since we don’t know what kinda motherboard you will have to find the motherboard manual and read up on setting up sata drive configuration on the BIOS.

its a gibgabyte 880gm-ud2h, i set it up in the bios and even put it in another machine running xp and i get the same results on both machines.

Can you try the drive in a USB / eSATA external enclosure by any chance as that
would / should eliminate any problems with the BIOS recognizing it correctly or
the off chance it is a mobo SATA port problem.

If you do not have an external enclosure handy then try plugging it into a different
SATA port on your mobo as you may just have a faulty SATA port. :confused:

Hi,

can you boot from a Linux Live disc (Ubuntu or Knoppix for example)?. Perhaps these allow you to at least access your files.

Michael

these drives aren’t formatted as “dynamic volumes” were they?

AD

just got home from work to mess with this some more. i dont have a usb or esata enclosure but i can get one tomorrow. tried it in several sata ports with same outcome. drive was not formatted as dynamic drive, i did ntsf format.

took a usb drive apart that i had and placed the drive in the usb enclosure,same results,. shows up as 32gb drive and the other part as unallocated. this is frustrating!

Does this drive have a jumper on it that maybe inadvertently got changed
during the change over? I’d have to say other than that I can not think of
anything else right off hand that could be causing you all this grief unless
the drive itself has gone / is going belly up on you. :eek:

I just did some checking over at Microsoft and it seems you are not alone
on this problem of the hard drive not showing the size correctly.

Hard Drive only shows 32 GB

[QUOTE=getit29;2578584]Does this drive have a jumper on it that maybe inadvertently got changed
during the change over? I’d have to say other than that I can not think of
anything else right off hand that could be causing you all this grief unless
the drive itself has gone / is going belly up on you. :eek:

I just did some checking over at Microsoft and it seems you are not alone
on this problem of the hard drive not showing the size correctly.

Hard Drive only shows 32 GB[/QUOTE]

nope, no jumpers. I read that thread too and saw many people had this same problem. I did find an older copy of get data back that i am using and the whole drive shows up there fine and i am copying all my files to my external drive as we speak. Just a slow process when you can only select 1 folder at a time but it is working fine that way. I read a few things to try to get the size correct but none of them worked for me so i am just getting my data off and going to let win7 format it again.

ok, got all my data back and then put it back in the machine i want it in and let windows 7 format it the way it wanted it. So far no problems, I put all the data back on it from my usb hd. I will keep it in both places just in case! thanks for trying to help!