Sata hard drive

i am having some problems with my current setup. I have some kind of virus (popups) that keeps coming up…anything i search a new window pops up and has “top rated __________” what ever i searched for., so i thought about getting a new hard drive and just doing a new windows install. The reason i dont want to do it on my original drive is, i have a ton of home videos i have converted to go to dvd…about 150gig worth. I was looking at newegg and saw the sata drives, but i have never had one. My motherboard accepts sata, i already have 2 hd and 2 dvd burners. I dont need anything huge like tb but just something reasonable. any recomendations? i currently have seagate drives and are happy with them. also would i have to do anything special to use a sata drive as my boot drive? 1 other question. i currently have a dual boot, xp pro and vista (vista on a separate hd) if i put in the new drive could i just delete the windows folders on the other 2 drives and just have the single boot system to xp? like this one maybe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

After bios posts, but before you see the windows screen … press F8 (repeatedly if you have to) and boot in safe mode.
When it asks if you want to use “SYSTEM RESTORE”, click yes & go back a few weeks.

Alternately, if you have a proper Windows install disc (rather than an OEM “restore disk”) you can repair your installation & install some freeware antivirus to clear out the crap - use someone else computer to download it & burn it to CD. AVG & Spybot Search & Destroy work and are free. Other people can recommend others.

The answers to you other questions is yes.
Depending on your country … YMMV … in Oz, the sweet spot is currently for the 750GB (7200rpm) HDD’s.
And yes, once you install a new OS, you can mount your old partitions & delete the windows folder.

Be aware that Windows Vista protects system files & some directories of the installation may not be visible when running WinXP.

I’m currently running Windows7beta & have mounted my WinXP install, and WinVista(x64) Install partitions.

For removing spyware etc then I have been having better luck with this.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I did have Spybot to run on some PC’s at work that had suspect spyware on them but the malware bytes anti spyware picked up 2 rootkit spyware that Spybot missed. I still keep spybot as it provides realtime protection.

Run that through your PC and see how much it cleans off. Also grab a free antivirus program as well to keep things clean.

i ran the malwarebytes and it found a few thing, i also run symantec antivirus. everything is good except the one popup that keeps coming up. I have never had a problem before, it just started…i run malwarebytes now and it finds nothing but the popup is still there.

here is the page that always pops up… [I]//suspicious link edited out by imkidd57//[/I]

[I]Comment by imkidd57: Please don’t expose out members to the very thing that you’re having trouble with! ;-)[/I]

Just curious, what browser are you using?

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do? - Microsoft TechNet: Security Management Column
’nuff said.

sorry about posting the link.,…i use ie and it is updated. i read the security management column…i guess i got sidetracked in my original post. i was basically asking about the sata hard drive because i want to get my computer running. and then transfer all my home videos to the new hard drive. and format the other 2 drives. so i was basically asking for suggestions for a sata harddrive…

Hi,[quote=AWILLIAMS64;2203440] i was basically asking about the sata hard drive because i want to get my computer running. and then transfer all my home videos to the new hard drive. and format the other 2 drives. so i was basically asking for suggestions for a sata harddrive…[/quote]:slight_smile: Good idea to get back to the initial topic :slight_smile:

[quote=AWILLIAMS64;2202649]i thought about getting a new hard drive and just doing a new windows install. The reason i dont want to do it on my original drive is, i have a ton of home videos i have converted to go to dvd…about 150gig worth.[/quote]Ok.

I was looking at newegg and saw the sata drives, but i have never had one. My motherboard accepts sata,
What chipset does it have? In case there is a Via or Sis chipset, you options might be limited.

I dont need anything huge like tb but just something reasonable. any recomendations? i currently have seagate drives and are happy with them.
Recently I bought a WD 3200AAKS. Quiet, not that hot and can be configured as Sata I, which is necessary for operation with certain “not-so-compatible” chipsets.
Seagate has a problem at the moment, especially with their larger drives (from 500GB and up).

also would i have to do anything special to use a sata drive as my boot drive?
You may need to adjust the boot priority in your Bios setup. My personal method for installs on system with more than one HDD is to disconnect the other HDDs in order to avoid accidential deletion of data.

1 other question. i currently have a dual boot, xp pro and vista (vista on a separate hd) if i put in the new drive could i just delete the windows folders on the other 2 drives and just have the single boot system to xp?
If you follow my advice and disconnect your other HDDs (or disable the controller they are connected to), then you’ll have a single boot system on the new HDD.
If you’re up and running, then you can re-connect the other drives and to with them what you want. Additionally, I strongly recommend to set up a user with restricted permissions for normal operation. This will prevent 95% of the malware from installing itself. :cool:

Michael

i dont know much about chipsets so here is the mb i have http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1939

Hi,[quote=AWILLIAMS64;2203463]i dont know much about chipsets[/quote]such is stated in the mainboard manual :slight_smile:

so here is the mb i have http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1939
Nvidia chipset. All fine.

Michael

i have not bought any hd’s in a few years, are segate and wd still the ones to get?

At the moment, I’d prefer WD. :wink: Samsungs aren’t bad either, one of mine is 5 years old and still in good condition.

i was reading wd has a 3 year warranty and seagate has a 5 year, thats if i read it correct

Seagate RETAILs have 5 year, bulk ones only 3…

trying to find one locally, i found this one but it has some mixed reviews
http://www.5oclock.com/Online/product.asp?SubCatID=367&ProductID=HDS-ST3320620AS&PriceID=1&mscssid=3N3GARXTE9HW9KVFMHHQVFGFQD500439