Sata Hard disk Problem?

hi frnds , i am using a sata harddisk “WDC WD1600AAJS-75PSAO”.

the problem with it is that it some times produces some kind of noise, while while reading or recording processes, and some times due to this my PC freezes n stop responding , even the cursor of my mouse does not move.

And from last week i am facing another problem , my computer some times does not detect my this Hardisk while booting it says unable to recognise the bootable media.

And today it had shown CRC error while i was downloading from a bit torrent client server “utorrent”.now after this error the downloading is stuck at 63 % n i cant continue. !!

is there any problem with data cable or power cable or what .!!

i have used many hard drive maintainence softwares ,but they all show 100% working state of my HD.

i have googled it alot ,but nothing seems to solve the problem …

plz help

Download the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility from their website.

Personally, I’d run out and buy a new HDD … transfer all your stuff to it, then figure out what’s wrong with the current HDD.

Clicks are not a good sign.

Use a different molex connector from the PSU. Had the same problem, changed the PSU and the problem went away. Was getting the same symptoms as you, plus a clicking noise when the system froze.

The molex connectors get loose internally over time which will cause the drive to loose one leg or more of the power it needs and then they click, lock up, whatever.
I’ve had it happen many times before and usually I can hear the affected drive stop spinning and power down and sometimes back up etc.
If nothing else is wrong like the PS going away you can power it down and try to tighten up the metal sleeves/tubes inside the connectors and many times it will work fine after that for a long time. I usually use small needle nose pliers to get in and gently tighten the loose ones.
If it’s bad enough you may have to replace the connector or supply but so far that has worked well for me if nothing else turns out to be wrong with the drive and power supply.

sir can u explain lit bit more about molex connector acc to wht i have googled there r two types of molex connectors available :-

1. disk drive connectors or Mate-N-Lok 4 pins

2. ATX connector, or the Mini-Fit Jr 20 or 24 pins

so which one are u talking abut !! or may be i should tighten both ???

I am talking about the 4pin connector that is hooked to the hard drives.
Some are the same type as the DVD drives and some are thinner.
See which ones are connected to the hard drives. Make sure it is tightly connected to the drive. If there is a spare one (connector) use that one on the hard drive.

Please guys and old members… :flower:

Molex is a IDE thingy, but when it comes to sata and with problems here eminated from, forget that Molex ever existed.[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2287568]I am talking about the [B]4pin connector[/B] that is hooked to the hard drives…[/QUOTE] TP is talking about sata and pfloyd1 is talking pure B/S. SATA is 15 pin power a connectror.

My appologies to TP and senior members for any confusion abouth the PSU problem.

Guys, and as some member above stated; when a drive is unreliable, put the HDD in another compu and back up your data. Windoze/ OS-X/ or even Linux doesn’t matter, all of them will help.

BTW, interesting thread (I also have quite s few WD drives running, that are +10yrs)

Excuse me, Mr. Pinto, but my WD Sata Drives have 4pin molex connectors on them. Watch the B/S remarks…Do a little bit more research.

Picture…

Some of the early WD SATA drives had a molex power on them as well as SATA so you could use it like a older drive if your PSU didn’t have any of the new SATA connectors on it, I have a couple as well with both.
I didn’t realise from his description that he was talking SATA so I’d say then he needs to pop the drive in something and back everything off it as well then he can worry about seeing if it’s having problems without loosing his data as well.
Some folks do have issues with the SATA connectors getting loose as well But I haven’t really seen it with all of mine yet. :o

PSU got no sata power connector so inplace of that i am using a “[B]SATA POWER LATCHING[/B]” cable which converts the power from molex disk drive connector…

now i am thinking is it could be the reason that the pins from molex power male connector which is connected to the sata power latching cable is causing the problem …

so may be i should use another molex connector from the psu…

n there is one more problem i am facing now ,my “[B]SONY DVD RW AW G170A[/B]” is giving a POWER CALIBRATION error while burning the dvds…though it is still being able to burn a normal 700mb cd.

secondly dvds which i have burned in my dvd writer is not readable with my own DVD RW but ,it is still readable with another DVD RWs

so may be it is also coj of the problem with PSU now both my HD n DVDRW is malfunctioning ???

[QUOTE=roxeyrox;2287988]PSU got no sata power connector so inplace of that i am using a “[B]SATA POWER LATCHING[/B]” cable which converts the power from molex disk drive connector…

now i am thinking is it could be the reason that the pins from molex power male connector which is connected to the sata power latching cable is causing the problem …

so may be i should use another molex connector from the psu…

n there is one more problem i am facing now ,my “[B]SONY DVD RW AW G170A[/B]” is giving a POWER CALIBRATION error while burning the dvds…though it is still being able to burn a normal 700mb cd.

secondly dvds which i have burned in my dvd writer is not readable with my own DVD RW but ,it is still readable with another DVD RWs

so may be it is also coj of the problem with PSU now both my HD n DVDRW is malfunctioning ???[/QUOTE]

That adapter in the picture can cause you all kinds of grief I know from first hand experience because I was having
the same kind of problem you are having with the drive clicking and locking up until I replaced it with another one.
I would replace that PS as soon as possible and get one with several SATA connectors on it that way you will not
be needing any more adapters. :disagree:

Agreed, using those molex power adapter thingies is just asking for trouble.

Replace the power supply, your data isn’t worth the risk of using those adapters.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2287828]Some of the early WD SATA drives had a molex power on them as well as SATA so you could use it like a older drive if your PSU didn’t have any of the new SATA connectors on it, I have a couple as well with both.
I didn’t realise from his description that he was talking SATA so I’d say then he needs to pop the drive in something and back everything off it as well then he can worry about seeing if it’s having problems without loosing his data as well.
Some folks do have issues with the SATA connectors getting loose as well But I haven’t really seen it with all of mine yet. :o[/QUOTE]

My drives are kinda old…like me.

Hi,

glad you got it sorted. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=roxeyrox;2288423]ok guys as per wht u all have recommended to use another molex connector with the [B]sata power latching [/B]cable now my PC is continuesly working frm last 8 hrs without any problem
thnx to all the member who have helped me for Fault Localization :)…

but still my dvd rw is still not working n giving the power calibration error as i have told u before.
(…)
[/QUOTE]

I have split and moved this part about the nonfunctional DVDRW to the NEC burners forum, where it is better suited.
–> http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/aw-g170a-doesnt-burn-dvd-276485/

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2287812]Excuse me, Mr. Pinto, but my WD Sata Drives have 4pin molex connectors on them. Watch the B/S remarks…Do a little bit more research.[/QUOTE]My apologizes [I]pfloyd1[/I]. :sad:
Sure, some of the earliest sata hdd drives also carried molex/ aka “ide” power connector.

But in general, once again, when it comes to sata you better click that link I posted above. :smiley: Hope even you can see the difference… (hint, 3.3V and staggered spin-up. BTW, let’s hope you jumpered those drives correctly Linky).

Thanks. :flower:

No prob…

pfloyd1 i think u must kept this in mind tht " [B]OLD Is GOLD[/B] "

keep smiling

thnx again :slight_smile: