SATA Enclosure for Blu-ray and HD-DVD drives

I am currently in search of a SATA 5.25" enclosure for Blu-ray and HD-DVD drives. I would like it to have eSATA output but Firewire or USB2 might be OK.

I have tried the GALAXY 5202auas external usb2.0+esata 5.25-in sata enclosure but it didn’t work and the drive didn’t fit the way it should.

I have found some Aluminum External SATA Enclosures such as this one Click Here.

The unit is pretty pricey for something I am not sure will work but at this point it may be my only option.

Is anyone using a Blu-ray or HD-DVD drive in an enclosure??

Thanks

Try FRYS.COM?

What was the problem with the fitting the way it should??

I have this Galaxy enclosure and maybe the same drive; which drive did not fit?? maybe one of the drives that are a little longer than most??

They don’t have anything.

I need to find someone who has one actually working.

@Kip the LG GGC-H20 was a little to long, I didn’t force it but it was pretty snug and didn’t line up with the front door of the enclosure.

When I turned it on it didn’t seemed recognized by the enclosure, the light on the drive just kept flashing and this was without even plugging it into the eSATA or USB2 ports.

Possibly a bad unit I don’t know, but I sent it back to the egg.

@megadeth - Did you ever figure get this figured out. I just ordered the Galaxy. I’m planning to use it with a non BD/HD optical drive (Samsung SH-S203B). Anyone out there using this enclosure (Galaxy METAL GEAR 5202AUAS) on Vista 64-bit? Does it require a driver? There isn’t one listed on the website.

What enclosure did you go with? Those ones from satadrives.com look nice, but like you said, a little too $$$

[QUOTE=stallen;1971014]@megadeth - Did you ever figure get this figured out. I just ordered the Galaxy. I’m planning to use it with a non BD/HD optical drive (Samsung SH-S203B). Anyone out there using this enclosure (Galaxy METAL GEAR 5202AUAS) on Vista 64-bit? Does it require a driver? There isn’t one listed on the website.

What enclosure did you go with? Those ones from satadrives.com look nice, but like you said, a little too $$$[/QUOTE]

Hopefully megadeth will have some info for you, he has the Galaxy, runs Vista 64 and has the 203 drive.

I have the enclosure, the drive and can confirm that it works fine on Vista 32.

[QUOTE=The Kipper;1971041]Hopefully megadeth will have some info for you, he has the Galaxy, runs Vista 64 and has the 203 drive.

I have the enclosure, the drive and can confirm that it works fine on Vista 32.[/QUOTE]

Did you have to install the Galaxy driver? Seems strange it would even need an enclosure driver. I would think all you would need is the controller driver. Silicon Image Controller in my case. I didn’t need a driver for my HDD enclosure.

I did not; just installed the drive (s) plugged it in and went for it. I included the testing for the enclosure in the ASUS 2014L1T review which you can check out here

The drop in speed at the end of the 20X burn on the ASUS was the same behavior for this drive when installed internally.

[QUOTE=The Kipper;1971084]I did not; just installed the drive (s) plugged it in and went for it. I included the testing for the enclosure in the ASUS 2014L1T review which you can check out here

The drop in speed at the end of the 20X burn on the ASUS was the same behavior for this drive when installed internally.[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet! Thanks for the information.:bow: Since you didn’t have to install a galaxy driver it sounds like I shouldn’t run into any issues. There are Vista 64-bit drivers available from siliconimage.com for my SIIG SC-SAE412-S2 PCI Express x1 SATA II Controller Card and my SIIG SC-SAE512-S1 SATA II ExpressCard 54 so I should be able to use this enclosure on my laptop and my desktop without a problem.

Hopefully megadeth will chime in with some Vista 64-bit, galaxy, and Samsung 203 specific info.:iagree:

It did not work with a LG GGC-H20L installed so I had sent the enclosure back.

First off it didn’t fit, the drive was a bit to long. Worse yet the drive LED would just blink and would not be recognized by Windows, at that time I have XP Pro installed.

[QUOTE=stallen;1971093]Oh sweet! Thanks for the information.:bow: Since you didn’t have to install a galaxy driver it sounds like I shouldn’t run into any issues. There are Vista 64-bit drivers available from siliconimage.com for my SIIG SC-SAE412-S2 PCI Express x1 SATA II Controller Card and my SIIG SC-SAE512-S1 SATA II ExpressCard 54 so I should be able to use this enclosure on my laptop and my desktop without a problem.

Hopefully megadeth will chime in with some Vista 64-bit, galaxy, and Samsung 203 specific info.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;1971142]It did not work with a LG GGC-H20L installed so I had sent the enclosure back.

First off it didn’t fit, the drive was a bit to long. Worse yet the drive LED would just blink and would not be recognized by Windows, at that time I have XP Pro installed.[/QUOTE]

Operator error, LOL.

How about USB to SATA adapter?
I know that Blu-ray/HD DVD drives tends to need high bandwidth, but anybody tried it?

Check this post on AVS forum for external USB/eSata enclosure with LG GGC/W-H20L drives:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12795014#post12795014

Just wanted to share that I have the LG GGW-H20L in my Galaxy External eSATA/USB enclosure. Same model as referenced above.
I am using the USB connection to either my HP Slimline or My Dell 530, and am having no problems burning or playing back HD/Blu Ray/DVD discs on the drive connected to my 42" 1080P LCD.
I had to shoehorn the drive into the enclosure, removing the push button latch on the enclosure (very simple in & out).
This required removing the the top of the enclosure & one of the bottom front feet (the side that has the spring for the door of the enclosure). I then removed the latch & connected the SATA cables to the drive & positioned the drive as far back as possible in the enclosure, so that it would clear the front feet mounts. I installed the bottom foot I removed (you have to hold the side closed to allign the screw hole, but this did not require any real force), And then install the top. Hook up the power & USB or eSATA cables & it all works fine! Drive is recognized in Vista/XP Pro.
The negative: means that I have to use the computer to eject the drive/disc & close the drive tray manually, which I already had to do when the drive was installed internally on the above computers, so no biggie.
As neither computer has an eSATA port, I cannot speak for eSATA capability(my HTPC rigs).
However I did have a Samsung S203b SATA burner in this Galaxy enclosure, connected via eSATA to another computer & it worked as well as an internal SATA burner install. So I suspect no problems.
FYI: I have had the GGW-H20L in and out of this enclosure & it was no problem to re-install the push button latch.

OK, I am thinking real hard about ordering this enclosure, a little spending but everything I have ordered from these guys is top notch and works great. This enclosure is made to accommodate the Hi-Def drives.

http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/essibay5cdop.html

Interesting find you8 made Kip. I am going to email them and see what the dimensions of the unit are.

If it can accommodate the longest drive I have I think I will give it a try.

thanks Kip :wink:

Yo Kip!

I emailed them about the dimensions of the drive and here is the response:

“none, this item is no longer made (no stock)”

:rolleyes:

Gesh remove it from the site then!

Back to the drawing board

I’m using a Lite On 401 in an Addonics Zebra - works fine
http://www.addonics.com/products/enclosures/zebra.asp
eSATA/USB Combo

You have a LITEON DH-4O1S???

Can you scan Blu-ray discs with it using CDSpeed?? I would be VERY interested to hear more from you.

Thank you also for the enclosure news, what model did you get? This is great news and only $45-$60!

[QUOTE=davinleeds;2024329]I’m using a Lite On 401 in an Addonics Zebra - works fine
http://www.addonics.com/products/enclosures/zebra.asp
eSATA/USB Combo[/QUOTE]