SATA DVD vs IDE DVD

Just a quick question to those of you who currently have SATA DVD drives; How much better are they than the IDE drives, what are the improvements, are they worth the extra money, etc.

I have SATA HD - I don’t think I’ll buy IDE HD again.

Thanks,
Nick.

None. I fold my IDE cable, so there is virtually no air flow restriction.

Last I checked, SATA burners had a number of problems caused, if I recall, by the propper lack of support from SATA controller chipsets.

I would stick with IDE optical drives for now.

Hi,

SATA drives are identical with their PATA brothers, except the interface, of yourse. I suspect, that the manufacturers just add some PATA-SATA bridge interface (that makes the extra price).

There is only an advantage for users, that don’t have free PATA ports and want to connect an additional drive.

Disadvantages:

[ul]
[li]compatibility issues with some SATA controllers
[/li][li]poor firmware support compared to PATA version
[/li][li]slightly higher price
[/li][li]not many drives available
[/li][/ul]

So, if you have free PATA connectors, then stick with PATA drives. But note, that some very new intel based mainboards provide PATA interfaces only via 3rd party IDE chips. These might work, or they don’t.

I did so, too. My cable went bad after a few month :frowning:

Michael

Need to use common sense when folding. Have done 100s of cables. All are fine.

I use an 80GBt SATA for my OS with No problems…Been useing it for one year now…All other HDD are either on a PCI ATA controller or External USB2.0.

SATA for Hard drives yes - but for DVD - I don’t see any real benefits. I tried a Samsung (SH-W163A) in a new work machine recently and although its fine for basic work back ups I wouldn’t use it for serious long term storage (eg movies)

:iagree: agreed.

I tried a Samsung (SH-W163A) in a new work machine recently and although its fine for basic work back ups I wouldn’t use it for serious long term storage (eg movies)
What is wrong with that drive? It is comparable to Liteon SHW-160P6S, slower at reading, but a better CD writer :slight_smile:

Michael

The main driving factor behind SATA is COST. SATA II HDD’s are cheaper than PATA HDD’s now. SATA ODD’s are still a little more expensive than PATA ODD’s. As simple as that.

By the time SATA DVD writers and SATA Blu-ray and HD DVD writers begin to overwhelm the retail market around the world, incompatibility and other issues will mostly have gone. Future Intel motherboard chipsets are going to do without PATA and so PATA ODD’s will be gone completely in a few years, perhaps by 2009 or 2010, in most retail shelves.

For now, SATA DVD writers are not more compatible, not cheaper, not smaller, not faster, and so on, than PATA DVD writers. Wait for those with good compatibility, slim and short, lower-priced (around US$20 or lower), etc.

Again, the largest ODD manufacturers do not want to produce that many SATA DVD writers because of one reason: COST. It costs too much for them to change the lines from PATA to SATA without good reasons. If it costs for them US$10 per drive to produce each SATA DVD writer, they’ll switch to SATA whether end users complain or not.

Nothing wrong with the Samsung but while I still have my 2 BenQ 1655, 2 BenQ 1640 and 1 BenQ1650 I will continue to use them for best results.

Hi,

you should also keep the Samsung, as it is able to read discs, your Benq drives can’t. :cool:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=196294 from #19 :wink:

Michael