SATA DVD Burner for Data Backup?

vbimport

Choosing a DVD Burner seems to have gotten more involved than it used to be :wink:
I am looking for a solid quality burner for a new PC build. The burner will be used to burn the occasional movie but most importantly I will burn backups of my data. I would assume scanning is the feature that is important. Any recommendations? Another plus is that its short as I will be using a Lian Li V-800 desktop case.

Any ideas would be great!!!

Not really. Scanning just shows the quality of the disc/burn after the fact.

Burning quality is the feature that should be important.

As said above, all you need is a good quality burner, scanning is rarely used and a waste of time. If you really need the scanning feature then consider mainly BenQ and Lite-On brand

Thanks for the explanation on scanning. So suggestions for a SATA w/ high burn quality?

I have the LiteOn LH-20A1S and have been very pleased with the results. I’ve only burned Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+Rs, Verbatim +R and Verbatim +R DL. All of them have been excellent burns. The only thing I’ve burned on 2nd Class or lesser media was a BenQ-branded Daxon CD-R which turned out fine. I didn’t scan it for errors though. I’m in the market for a 2nd SATA drive right now as a “backup” or secondary option to the LiteOn. I’m eyeing the Pioneer DVR-212DBK, but I haven’t made up my mind yet.