SATA Drives for DVD quality scans?

vbimport

I have a Plextor PX-740UF external USB/Firewire DVD writer which is, in reality, a BenQ DW1640 that I’ve flashed with BenQ 164B (external version of the DRW1640) firmware that I use for quality scans with Nero DiskSpeed 5.0.1.250.
I’d like to build an external eSATA DVD writer for quality scanning and I have the following SATA DVD writers available to use:
Optiarc AD-7200S
Pioneer DVR-215D
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Will any of these do quality scans equal to the BenQ DW1640? If not, which SATA DVD writers available today will do quality scans as well as the BenQ DW1640?

I also own a PX-740UF and a shelf full of Benq DW1640 and equivalents. While it’s hard to say anything is as good as the 1640, I don’t hesitate to use my Asus DRW-24B1ST flashed to iHAS324 as an alternative. I don’t think you need to look any farther.

The ASUS DRW-24B1ST is a new drive for me. I’ve used ASUS DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives for years, but this is the first ASUS DVD writer I’ve tried. Usually, I stick with NEC (now Optiarc) or Pioneer. Actually, I’m in the process of testing the DRW-24B1ST right now by burning some Verbatim MCC-004 (my favorite) and some Philips CMC Magnetics AM3 discs. Put up against my Optiarc AD-7200S, it doesn’t look good for the ASUS drive. The ASUS came with 1.04 firmware which I’ve read is problematic. Tried to flash back to 1.03, but the ASUS winflash program apparently doesn’t allow you to flash back to a previous version. We’ll see.

Is this the firmware you’re using in your DRW-24B1ST? “Lite-On iHAS324 B ODD Firmware AL18”

[QUOTE=pcarey;2608911]
I’d like to build an external eSATA DVD writer for quality scanning and I have the following SATA DVD writers available to use:[/quote]
This one:

Optiarc AD-7200S