SATA drive

Hello:

My NEC ND-4570A does not want to burn anymore, so I thought I would buy a new drive, a SATA and, why not, a Samsung (never had a bad Samsung product).

But when I look at reviews and such, and compare with what DVD writers Samsung offers on its drive page, I wonder why Samsung only offers some SE-… and SH-S… in the 100 series. I wonder this because SH-S… in the 200 series seem to be rather common.

Now, having said that, what SATA DVD writer (or COMBO?) would be a good choice at this time?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hans L

Hi,[QUOTE=Hans L;2299532]
so I thought I would buy a new drive, a SATA [/quote]What chipset or Sata controllers are present?

I wonder why Samsung only offers some SE-… and SH-S… in the 100 series. I wonder this because SH-S… in the 200 series seem to be rather common.
The naming convention of Samsung drives is:
SH-Sssix: ss=Speed (18=18x, 22=22x etc), i=interface (2=P-ATA, 3=S-ATA), x=letter specifying the exact drive model.
Same applies to the external models, the name starts with SE, and i=4 (for USB interface).

Now, having said that, what SATA DVD writer (or COMBO?)
You know that a combo drive is only a DVD reader plus CD writer?

Michael

i’ll check the chipset or Sata controllers. Thanks for the naming conventions and definition of Combo (which I did not know).

Regards,

Hans L