SATA Drive for audio ripping + DVD burning

vbimport

Hi community!

I spent the last 2 days browsing and searching the forums, but without really finding a definitive answer to my question. I’m building up a new machine, and the motherboard will be SATA only so I can’t import my old IDE drives (and I’d like to avoid buying a PCIe IDE controller…)

I will need 1 optical drive, and the uses will be cd ripping (I’ve got 1000+ CDs that I am slowly digitalizing), as well as data back up on DVD.

My main issue is making sure I get a drive that doesn’t have problems with audio extraction (so no audio caching, etc…)

The available choices are:

ASUS DRW-24B5ST
ASUS DRW-24F1ST
LG GH24NS
LITEON iHAS124
LITEON iHAS524
PLEXTOR PX-891SA
SAMSUNG SH-224BB
SAMSUNG SH-224DB
SONY OPTIARC 7200S (yes the old model)

I’m leaning towards either the LG, LiteOn or Optiarc, but I’ve read really mixed up reviews about each one (bad ripping but good burning and vice-versa. What are your suggestions and why?

Thanks!

I don’t have any of the drives in your list so I can’t help there.

I suggest an external enclosure for one or all of your IDE drives .
These connect USB.
Their chipset can be a limitation .
On the one I have it fails to write an Audio CD .
It will rip them with no problem.

This enclosure was a bargain & other than the write problem it works well.

You can read about it in this link .
Of course it is no longer available & you might want to not get one with the same chipset.
http://club.myce.com/f58/newegg-shellshocker-syba-sy-uen-5sl-5-25-usb2-0-aluminum-external-enclosure-12-99-free-shipping-304431/

Still a way to get some more use from your IDE drives.

I’d get any drive that suits you, and use a secure program for ripping CD - like dBPoweramp. It compares each track to a database of previous rips and also provides all needed tags and artwork. Makes CD ripping a breeze. Also includes a batch converter tool that’s also really nifty.

There’s really no such thing as “bad ripping”. Its either an accurate rip or its not.

What do you have against a PCIe IDE card? I just ordered one yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697030]What do you have against a PCIe IDE card? I just ordered one yesterday. :p[/QUOTE]
I think the objection was buying one .

I’m with CDan on the

There’s really no such thing as “bad ripping”. Its either an accurate rip or its not.

I usually use EAC but I have also used dBPoweramp & a few others.
I can’t remember one that didn’t sound good.
& I was able to burn & play them on CD players.

I even have a badly scratched CD I use for testing.
I didn’t scratch it myself .It was in a yard sale & cheap.
It still produces a fairly good copy but has to be ripped with Burst mode.

FWIW, my most challenging CDs to rip weren’t the slightest bit scratched. They just didn’t rip correctly and had an audible glitch in a few problem tracks. I tried every optical drive I own ripping the problem tracks many times in each drive. One of my drives seemed less upset with the discs and I was able to get a rip that matched the AccurateRip DB (without an audible glitch) after a few tries per track. As I recall, the drive that worked the best ended up being an old IDE Plextor CD-RW drive.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t really help the OP. I guess my best advice would be don’t expect one single drive to read everything perfectly.

FWIW, the AD-7200S is a no audio cache drive per this thread. I’m not sure about the others. You could spend some time Googling them, but online chatter about optical drives has really tapered off in the last few years, so the information may not be out there.

Other than my old IDE NEC drives the drive I’ve had the best experience with is my
current Optiarc AD7261S.

I use EAC to do all my ripping

THE issue with using an IDE controller card is that most IDE controller cards simply do not “play nice” with optical drives.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2697041]THE issue with using an IDE controller card is that most IDE controller cards simply do not “play nice” with optical drives.[/QUOTE]I think you can simply change that to in general controller cards do not play nice with optical drives. It’s not limited to just IDE.

However, there are some chipsets that work fine though. For example, I found a Marvell PCIe SATA chipset (88SE9215) that works flawlessly with optical drives. Now I’m on the hunt for a PCIe card with IDE that “plays nice” with optical drives. I’ve got my fingers crossed that Marvell’s PCIe SATA/IDE chipset (88SE912x) will have IDE ports up to the task. Otherwise it’s JMB36x time. I’ve used a JMB36x soldered on a few Gigabyte LGA775 motherboards successfully. They have worked with most IDE optical drives I’ve tried. Only an old Plextor Plexwriter 8/4/32 that predates ATA-33/UDMA didn’t work.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697038]I’m not sure about the others. You could spend some time Googling them, but online chatter about optical drives has really tapered off in the last few years, so the information may not be out there.[/QUOTE]I tried Google for the rest of the drives re: Audio Caching and came up empty handed. EAC works fine with either type. It uses a workaround for drives that cache audio. They key is to make sure it’s set correctly in EAC.

@Lebowski
More reading stuff:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=20
http://www.daefeatures.co.uk/

Thanks for all the replies. I was gone this week-end so I’ll try to go in order :slight_smile:

I’d like to avoid an external USB enclosure, because I’d rather use the space inside the case, as well as a SATA port since I’ll have much more spare SATA than USB (as well as a PCIe).

Stereodude, thanks for the very informative stuff. Looks like you found the same content as I did before posting… That’s why I was asking in this forum - there’s isn’t much info around - much to my surprise. I would have thought there were many more comparisons and such - but I guess it’s just maybe because there just isn’t any difference between the few available modern drives.

The DAE Features website doesn’t have any drive in the last years listed either. I don’t think there’s many SATA drives listed. It’s like the whole web is dry of information regarding recent DVD-RW drives.

I had that much figured out before posting, and since I didn’t find much information, I wanted to ask people’s advice in here. But I maybe those drives are too new for people to have them… I’ll probably just go with an AD7200-S from ebay, it’s more or less the only one I read something about and it was mostly good reviews. The others - just can’t find anything about them.

Looks like a post isn’t editable after a few minutes - I also wanted to add the reason for asking was also to avoid buying something notoriously not recommended… :slight_smile:

OK so after some more reviewing I settled on buying an Optiarc 7260S, because of the excellent reviews on both cdrlabs and cdrinfo, as well as because it doesn’t cache audio data. Unfortunately, as much as the 7200S seemed easy to find, this one isn’t, or at very high prices on ebay. Just need to hunt… But during my hunting, I found one of thos so much sought-after Plextor Premiums for about 20$… So I additionally went with that :wink: And I guess I’m gonna have to buy one of those IDE PCI(e) controllers… What did you get Stereodude? (if you’re still reading this thread ;))

I know cards with a JMB36x chipset should work. Gigabyte put a JMB363 on two motherboards I use and they work with IDE optical drives (except the really old IDE drives that predate ATA-33 and use multiword DMA instead of UDMA).

However, I ordered, but don’t yet have, a Syba PCIe card with a Marvell 88SE9128 chipset. It’s a SD-PEX50050. (I should have ordered a SI-PEX40059 since it has 2 internal SATA ports instead of one SATA port and one eSATA port.) Right now I have a Syba SI-PEX40064 PCIe 4 port SATA controller that I’m using for optical drives in my PC since my Intel ICH is full. The SI-PEX40064 uses a Marvell 88SE9215 chipset.

Long story short, I’m trying out a card using a Marvell chipset instead of a Jmicron, which I know should work for IDE optical drives, because I’d like to use the SATA ports on the card for optical drives and my recollection is that the JMB363’s SATA ports don’t work with optical drives. If the SD-PEX50050 works with optical drives on both the SATA and IDE ports (fingers crossed), I will get a SI-PEX40059 and pull the SI-PEX40064 from my PC so I’m using only 1 PCIe slot for optical drives since the SI-PEX40059 will support 2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drives.

Apologies for the long winded and potentially confusing post.

I would have like to have had a different chipset in my Syba external enclosure.
The Prolific PL2506 ( an older chipset) doesn’t write an Audio CD.
I won’t buy anything with Prolific chipsets anymore.
On the positive side . I reads CDs just fine so ripping isn’t a problem.
I also seems to read & write DVDS well.
So if at sometime in the future you decide to try an external watchout for Prolific.

[QUOTE=Lebowsky;2697493]But during my hunting, I found one of thos so much sought-after Plextor Premiums for about 20$… So I additionally went with that :wink: [/QUOTE]Just so you know… The Plextor Premium caches audio data.

yeah I know. That’s why I wanted to pair it with an Optiarc 7260S, which doesn’t cache audio and has great burning reviews. But it’s impossible to find in Europe. On ebay the shipping costs to Europe exceed the price of the thing itself… so 60$ is a no-no. I guess the hunt for a DVDRW ain’t over yet…

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697495]However, I ordered, but don’t yet have, a Syba PCIe card with a Marvell 88SE9128 chipset. It’s a SD-PEX50050. (I should have ordered a SI-PEX40059 since it has 2 internal SATA ports instead of one SATA port and one eSATA port.) Right now I have a Syba SI-PEX40064 PCIe 4 port SATA controller that I’m using for optical drives in my PC since my Intel ICH is full. The SI-PEX40064 uses a Marvell 88SE9215 chipset.

Long story short, I’m trying out a card using a Marvell chipset instead of a Jmicron, which I know should work for IDE optical drives, because I’d like to use the SATA ports on the card for optical drives and my recollection is that the JMB363’s SATA ports don’t work with optical drives. If the SD-PEX50050 works with optical drives on both the SATA and IDE ports (fingers crossed), I will get a SI-PEX40059 and pull the SI-PEX40064 from my PC so I’m using only 1 PCIe slot for optical drives since the SI-PEX40059 will support 2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drives.[/QUOTE]For the sake of completeness I’m posting this here as well… I’m sorry to report the card I got (Syba SD-PEX50050) did not work with the IDE optical drive I wanted to use it with. :a

I mainly bought it so I could use a BenQ DW1650 for scanning. Unfortunately, the controller hangs at the 88SE91xx BIOS screen where it’s “Initializing devices…” when the DW1650 is attached. I tried both positions of the IDE cable and all the combinations of the drive’s jumper in both cable positions. I tried more than one IDE cable also. The card did recognize and boot with a Optiarc AD-7200A attached for whatever that’s worth. The SATA ports on the SD-PEX50050 seem to work fine with optical drives.

I will be returning the SD-PEX50050 and getting a JMB368 PCIe IDE card instead.

@ Stereodude , As I posted above the external I have an IDE drive in doesn’t burn an Audio CD.
In has a Samsung drive in it but I’m sure the problem is the External case chip & not the drive.
Have you tried &/or found an external case that will work with the BenQ DW1650 ?
If you ever decide to try that route & find that it’s chip will burn an Audio CD please post it.

I prefer not to swap drives with the external case if I don’t have to because it is a pretty tight fit. Since I can burn an Audio CD with 3 other drives I probably won’t swap any drives. Especially since I’m fairly sure the swapped drive would do the same.
BTW I have an internal Samsung in my desktop. It is supposed to be the older version of the drive I have in the external. By that I mean it has the old model number & all Samsung did was change the model number.
It burns Audio CDs with no problem.

[QUOTE=cholla;2698102]@ Stereodude , As I posted above the external I have an IDE drive in doesn’t burn an Audio CD.
In has a Samsung drive in it but I’m sure the problem is the External case chip & not the drive.
Have you tried &/or found an external case that will work with the BenQ DW1650 ?
If you ever decide to try that route & find that it’s chip will burn an Audio CD please post it.[/QUOTE]I’ll try it in my external enclosure when the new replacement power brick I ordered shows up. The old power brick went wonky and damaged 3 of my IDE drives. :a