Sata controller with Sata3 drive

vbimport

I have a 4 year old PC with an Intel Sata1 controller. If I install a new Sata3 drive will I get Sata3 transfer rates or will the controller be a limitation?

You will be limited by the controller.

And you likely won’t notice a difference either way.

I suppose it would depend on what level of PCI bus the controller has, but that aside, I’d think it might be noticable if I’m backing up 40gig of data.

There is no SATA3 drive…

Seems like you might be picking nits here? SATA3 controllers, SATA300 drives. Or should I say SATA-300 drives?

Well i guess you are referring to Sata2 drives. Given the fact that the initial Sata 1.5Gb/s were named unofficially Sata1 and the next generation of Sata 3Gb/sec were named Sata2, chef is correct to point out that the Sata3 nomination you used is misleading.

Anyways, Sata2 drives are backward compatible and can work on Sata1 controllers, which is the one that you have on your mobo. The performance loss IMO is not noticeable, if i were you i would go on and buy the sata2 drive.

Welcome to forum by the way :slight_smile:

Seagate and Western Digital don’t have any SATA2 drives. All of their drives are referred to as SATA 3gb/s. CDW carries quite a few that they call SATA300 drives, only one that they incorrectly refer to as SATA2. A few controllers are called SATA2 or SATA II probably in error. Here is an explanation from Wikipedia:

SATA II misnomer
Popular usage may refer to the 3.0 Gbit/s specification as “Serial ATA II” (“SATA II” or “SATA2”), contrary to the wishes of the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) which defines the standard. SATA II was originally the name of a committee defining updated SATA standards, of which the 3 Gbit/s standard was just one. However since it was among the most prominent features defined by the former SATA II committee, the name SATA II became synonymous with the 3 Gbit/s standard, so the group has since changed names to the Serial ATA International Organization, or SATA-IO, to avoid further confusion.

As i said, the sata1/2 naming is unofficial. But i thought the goal here was to get an answer to your initial question/problem; not about proper sata nomenclature :wink:

Thanks for the info.