SATA Chipsets Compatible with AD-7170S

Hi,

I recently purchased a Rosewill SATA PCI card (has Silicon Image 3512 chip) for my dual Opteron board with VIA K8T800 + VT8237 chipset. I’m thinking of getting the AD-7170S since I would like to save the IDE ports for my older optical drives.

Couple of questions:

1. The only drivers for these chipsets are from the respective manufacturers (Silicon Image and VIA). Does anyone have anything good or bad to say regarding burning with apps like Nero7, Slysoft apps, etc.

2. Does the AD-7170S drive burn just as well as the AD-7170A drive? FWIW, I typically try to stick with Verbatim media, but will typically stray to TDK or Fujifilm if they are on sale.

3. Any comments on how the AD-7170S compares to the Pioneer DVR-212?

I have a 7170S and it doesn’t like the uli controller on the asrock dual 939 vsta, it does work with Silicon Image 3112 on another pc.
It works just like a standard ide/ata burner although I noticed cpu usage was 0% when burning with nero.

Thanks for the update. I’m going to purchase the AD-7170S and I’ll try it with both the SI 3512 (add-on card) and the VIA K8T800+VT8237 (MSI K8T Master2-FAR).

You shouldn’t have a problem as long as onboard SATA is set as standard and not RAID and any SATA PCI/PCIe card has a standard BIOS flashed to it rather than a RAID BIOS.

Hi :slight_smile:
I have the same PCI card & it works fine,
Just follow steps found [B]here:[/B]
P.S. I also have the 7170S. :iagree: Along with a couple of Samsung 203s’ & a Lite-On 20A1S. :bigsmile:

Ah that’s good to know. Now I know I shouldn’t have any problems with AnyDVD too. :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
Yeah, I get no probs with AnyDVD. :disagree: :smiley: