SATA burners - screw with HD activity light?

vbimport

I recenty build a simple Gigabyte P35 - DS3L system. I works perfectly with a WD Sata II hard drive a Seagate IDE HD and a BenQ IDE burner, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 4 GB and Windows XP SP2.

Now, when I added a new 20x Sata burner (either Lite-on or Samsung - tried both) The hard drive activity light on the case blinks about once every second. This screws around with the “sleep” mode. Both the machine’s and mine - lol. It just plain bothers me because I get paranoid when I walk by the system and think someone is trying to hack in.

Is this Sata burner behavior Normal or just something specific to my hardware. Do you guys see it in your machines?

Elliot

It’s done that on mine since either adding 2tb drives or the lg blu ray writer. It bugs me but cannot be arsed to fix it normally I would be spending hours and days to stop it/ fix it.

Its normal.

Windows has had the “autorun” feature for a while and its when windows looks for a disc in the drive that the light flashes.

It should not affect the sleep function at all. I have a system here that flashes the light in the same way but when it enters S3 suspend it all stops and the PSU shuts down without a problem. The system currently runs as an HTPC setup so goes on & off as it needs to.

[QUOTE=qwakrz;2046271]Its normal.

Windows has had the “autorun” feature for a while and its when windows looks for a disc in the drive that the light flashes.

It should not affect the sleep function at all. I have a system here that flashes the light in the same way but when it enters S3 suspend it all stops and the PSU shuts down without a problem. The system currently runs as an HTPC setup so goes on & off as it needs to.[/QUOTE]

I think OP meant the Hard drive light not light on ROM etc and even if you still mean what you said autorun is disabled on all my computers and mine has started to flash hd led every second very dim thought not as brightly lit as when full hd access is occurring.

I checked with perfmon %idle and it is still at 99.99% over 1 minute etc , but it does bug me that the hdd led is flashing very dimmly every second since adding either LG H20L or the 2 F1 samsung t/b drives.

[QUOTE=dontasciime;2046533]I think OP meant the [B]Hard drive light[/B] not light on ROM etc and even if you still mean what you said autorun is disabled on all my computers and mine has started to flash hd led every second very dim thought not as brightly lit as when full hd access is occurring.

I checked with perfmon %idle and it is still at 99.99% over 1 minute etc , but it does bug me that the hdd led is flashing very dimmly every second since adding either LG H20L or the 2 F1 samsung t/b drives.[/QUOTE]

YES that is an exact description of my “troubles”. Except I was tring a Lite-on 20A1S, and an Samsung SH-S203; so maybe not exact but close.

Elliot

This has been a long running thing and a question often asked on our forums. It depends on the motherboard chipset in use (most light the HDD LED when accessing an optical drive). I think this is because the HDD LED isn’t really a true HDD activity monitor, it merely monitors activity on the IDE/SATA buss.