Sata burner in IDE computer!

vbimport

Hi all

I’m new to the forum and am hoping you computer whizzes can help me :bow:.

I have an Acer Aspire desktop. It has a Lite On DVDRW SHW-160P6S burner, which has been playing up (slot not opening etc), and I thought it would be good to have 2 burners. I bought an LG Super Multi DVD Rewiter (GSA-H62N). I wasn’t aware of IDE and Sata (computer dope!), and when I tried to install the LG burner, I couldn’t find where to attach it to the mother board. I rang LG & they told me I needed a Sata connector. I bought a Ritmo PCI to Sata + IDE card, and installed it into the motherboard slot the guy in the computer shop showed me. I also installed the software that came with it.

I attached the LG burner power plug to the Lite On dual power plug (think it must be there for master/slave purposes). The light on the LG burner comes on, so I think the power source is working, but I can’t get my computer to recognise the LG burner!!! It simply doesn’t work (other than opening up :a)

When I boot up, it says “…Scanning IDE Drives… No device attached to Fast Trak”.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem? I’ve checked and rechecked the cables and attachments and they all seem fine. Do you reckon it would be better to ditch the LG and just buy another IDE burner and have a master slave set up?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Cheers
Lily :flower:

Hi and Welcome!

what chipset does this card have? (Exact model should help also).

Fast Trak reminds me of Promise Raid controller chips which are useless for optical drives.

Return this card and get a card with Silicon Image 3112/3512 or 3114 chipset. A Raid model has to be flashed with the non-Raid card bios which is available on Silicon Image support website.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for your suggestions. Things have gotten worse :frowning: I decided to go and buy an IDE burner so I could get rid of the sata problem. Bought a Pioneer DVR 115D an installed it as the slave to the existing Lite On burner. Now my computer refuses to recognise either of them!!!:a:eek: I’ve tried the Windows installation of new hard ware in the control panel, but could not find the devices!!!

Any suggestions???

Cheers
Lily

Hi,

Pioneer drives like being the master drive. :wink:

So, set its jumper to master position and change the jumper of your Liteon to slave.

Use an 80wired IDE cable (this is mandatory!) and make sure, the Pioneer is connected to the (black) end connector of the cable. You might need to change the physical position of the drives in your computer case for this.

Michael

Thanks for the advice Michael :clap:

Back to the computer shop again:a

Well this isn’t getting any better :frowning: I bought the 80 wire IDE cable and set the jumpers to master for the Pioneer and slave for the Lite-On. Now the computer only recognises the Pioneer as a CD drive only and doesn’t recognise the Lite-On at all :sad::sad:

Any suggestions on how to remedy this??? :bow:

Cheers
Lily

Hi,

have you plugged the Pioneer to the black end connector of the cable?
Also make sure, all cables are properly seated.

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes, the black connector part is in the Pioneer. The computer now recognises it as a DVR as I did some burning with Nero, so when I put a DVD in it now, it opens with Power DVD, so seems that Nero fixed that problem. Still no good news in relation to the Lite-On - it’s sitting there in no man’s land. Will take the computer into work for the IT guys to have a look at and see if they can resolve the problem.

Cheers
Lily :flower: