Sata 2 support

[qanda]This thread is about the Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 1TB Internal Hard Drive Upgrade Kit. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a 1 TB hard drive i just bought, on the box it says it supports sata 2. When i intalled the drive into my computer, as it boots up it reports lba,ata 133. Does this mean my computer doesn’t support sata 2? I have a DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D motherboard which, when i bought, said it supported sata 2 speeds.

You mean that is what the BIOS shows the drive when it posts, type of thing?

I wouldn’t give that much thought. If the drive is properly running in DMA mode and benchmarks fine, then all should be well.

It could be possible that you may have to upgrade your chipset drivers, but that won’t change how the BIOS sees your drive on bootup.

Use a tool like HD Tune to verify speed and proper operation of drive.

Check your BIOS, I expect the SATA controller is set to “Legacy”, “compatible” or “IDE” or similar (they’re all the same, but the industry seems to think that the more names they come up with for the same thing, the merrier), rather than AHCI (which might be called “native” or “SATA”. If you change that setting in the BIOS it ought to identify it as SATA.

Keep in mind though that if you’ve installed Windows to it, Windows will get very sad and confused. If it is a data disk, I expect it would be fine once you’ve installed the drivers.

In addition, check if you have a jumper near the SATA power and signal connections on the drive - on some Seagate disks (not sure if it applies to this one), if it is set, the disk will only run as SATA-150 due to compatibility issues with some older chipsets (VIA in particular). Seagate probably - sensibly - assumed that fewer drives would be returned as “faulty” if the speed was limited a tiny bit on the majority of computers (no hard disk that I know of can actually get close to saturating a SATA-300 connection) than if it would fail completely on a minority of systems (assuming the buyer didn’t read the documentation.)

Since this is apparantly a 7200.11 (according to your link), you REALLY ought to go to Seagates webpage and check if there is a firmware update available for it. They’ve had some very nasty firmware issues.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2296000]You mean that is what the BIOS shows the drive when it posts, type of thing?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats exactly what i mean.

What I’m wondering is if this means the drive is operating at SATA 1.0 speeds.

I’m gonna take a look at the HD Tune software.

Also what is S.M.A.R.T. capability?

[QUOTE=waldo67234;2296011]Also what is S.M.A.R.T. capability?[/QUOTE]
Drive monitoring and diagnostics. It is mainly used to alert a user that a disk is likely to fail in the near future. It is generally a good idea to leave it on. Keep in mind that the lack of SMART alerts doesn’t guarantee that the disk is OK - it does not catch all imminent failures.

Hopefully someone else will tell you how to receive those in Windows - I’m guessing that’s what you’re using.

Gosh darn it!

I took a look at the seagate website and i’m getting sonfused on what drive i have!

On the box it came in it says: ST310015N1A1AS-RK

The link for that product is:

BUT

When I look at the device manager in windows it shows up as ST31000528AS

here is the link for that one:

So i guess i have the 12th generation right?

also how do i check the firmware?

Only way I’m aware of receiving those is through use of a 3rd party utility.

I use HD Tune to periodically check my drives, if that tool reports something weird, I then use the tool provided by the drive maker for a more thorough test.

@ [B][I]Waldo67234[/I][/B]

Wouldn’t worry too much if the drive is running in SATA I speeds. Not enough to fiddle around with switching to AHCI and the Windows nonsense that comes with it if you did not slipstream the drivers onto your install CD. Mechanical hard drives still are not capable of running anywhere close to 375MB/s speeds, at least in single drive configurations.

SATA II was more for NCQ then anything else.

Edit: Yep, that is a Barracuda 12, the issues with the 11 series drives have been reported to be fixed.