SARS... does it scare you?

vbimport

Just wondering…

I must admit that it’s pretty scary to have such a deadly virus spreading itsself arpund the world, while scientists don’t know how to prevent infection, or to cure infected people.

I read in the newspaper that it possibly could last a couple of years before a vaccin would be found/created… the longer it lasts until this problem is solved, the faster the virus will spread itsself… this could be a real danger for us, humans… don’t you think?

I just hope a cure will be found very soon!

I’m not worried. We can always decide the way we do with chickens and pigs :slight_smile:

SARS is a big worry indeed. My friends in Hong Kong said that the place looks and feels like a dead city, with people wearing masks and everything. Australian airports have nurses on standby at all times, visitors from China and Hong Kong have been denied visa to enter Malaysia, and it hits SE Asia’s tourism industry the hardest. Death toll is still climbing…I think the latest figures was about 190 deaths, with 69 in Hong Kong alone.

@MrB: what happened to the image link you were trying to put earlier?

There are more dangerous ones

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
I’m not worried. We can always decide the way we do with chickens and pigs :slight_smile:

That’s what I’ve been saying all along. If the governments rounded up all the initial SARS infected people in the first place and burn them (in private of course. we don’t want to be insensitive and inhumane), then maybe we wouldn’t have a global crisis right now. Same goes for all the infectious diseases… cruel, yes. but the death of a few hundred people could save the live of thousands. Take all the sick SARS people and put them in concentration camps and kill 'em all… wait, I’m having flashbacks. Gas chambers, fire pits, graves…:Z

Hmmm…I guess everybody has their own way to deal with problems.

I’m not worried, I think people are a little like when HIV first was reported, a little oversensitive. It’s always like that with a new dicease (anybody remeber the mad cows?)
I would be more worried if I’d lived in asia…

I’m not worried…90-95% recover from it,so it isn’t as deadly as cancer,aids or ebola…:bigsmile:

Sars shouldn’t be the only disease to worry about… ebola, hanta, plague, aids, and who knows what more lies behind the horizon…

I am more worried about getting hit by a car than SARS.

The way it is portrayed over here is that it isnt a problem for us but mostly an Asian problem. Dont know that much about it to worry.

HIV/Aids is pretty bad indeed, but it’s “easy” to protect you from getting infected (although it can always happen, e.g. when you get wrong blood in a hospital).

any airborne disease that kills 1 in 20 is worth taking notice of.

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
[B]I am more worried about getting hit by a car than SARS.

The way it is portrayed over here is that it isnt a problem for us but mostly an Asian problem. Dont know that much about it to worry. [/B]

If I lived in Hong Kong I might be worried, but I think it would be useless to worry about something I have no control over.

any airborne disease that kills 1 in 20 is worth taking notice of.

Where on earth did you get those figures?
This whole thing is 99% media hype. In the USA, hundreds have caught it and nobody has died. Think of it as really bad influenza, the young, the old, and the medically underserved are most at risk.

i was just using the ones roadworker supplied :stuck_out_tongue: - i dont care enough to look up my own.

if it was really bad influenza, i WOULD be worried. assuming really bad refers to the strain that wiped out 20-40 million people in 1918-1919. what was scary about this strain? at least according to stanford, “The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40”

forgot to mention its mortality rate was 2.5 %

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]i was just using the ones roadworker supplied :stuck_out_tongue: - i dont care enough to look up my own.

if it was really bad influenza, i WOULD be worried. assuming really bad refers to the strain that wiped out 20-40 million people in 1918-1919. what was scary about this strain? at least according to stanford, “The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40”

forgot to mention its mortality rate was 2.5 % [/B]

I wonder what the average lifespan was back then ? 45? 50? Is so the upper end of the age group was already getting pretty old.
I think medical science would cut down on alot of the deaths even if it was as communicable as that strain. If it gets real bad which group would you want to be with ? IE: (Steven King, “The Stand”) The ones that go to Kansas or the Ones that go to Las Vegas?

that strain helped cut the average life expectancy 10 years.

Bah. It doesn’t scare me. The fatality rate is so low (<10%) and even then its usually those with other pre-existing diseases that succumb to it anyway.

Stay fit and healthy and you have nothing to worry about. Actually I hope I get infected, because then I won’t have to worry about catching it when I have a pressured deadline to meet. Just like another bad cold.

Some people are so scared of dying when death finally meets them they are still woefully unprepared. There is no point being so afraid of dying that you take ridiculous measures to protect yourself from it - when you could just as easily be hit by a car or find out you have had cancer growing in you for the past few years. Live life to the full and die with a long, accomplished epitaph. :slight_smile:

to quote, sadly, a harry potter book

to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

@Flying Dutchman:
A few people in Frankfurt had been infected. I don’t know if anyone of them has died so far, but if SARS finds its way to Germany, then I don’t think that it will hesitate to visit USA.

But, as alreasy said, most people appearently recover from it, so a heart attack is more dangerous