Sanyo: eneloop batteries last longest

I just posted the article Sanyo: eneloop batteries last longest.

Sanyo claims that its eneloop batteries can be recharged more times than any of its competitors.

Read the full article here: [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/20762-sanyo-eneloop-batteries-last-longest.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/20762-sanyo-eneloop-batteries-last-longest.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I use these, I like them. :slight_smile: A+

After my experience with a few different brands of pre-charged Ni-MH batteries, I’ll not be going back to regular Ni-MH rechargeables. :disagree:

When I first saw these batteries on sale, the first thing that came to mind was “Why would someone pay more for pre-charged batteries instead of just buying the cheaper ones and recharging the batteries before first use?” However, it was not until it hit me that the only way these batteries could be sold pre-charged is if they held their charge. :wink: For comparison, regular high capacity Ni-MH batteries lose their charge after just a few months, even if not used over the period.

One other nice thing I found with pre-charged batteries, which I’m sure includes these enloops is that they provide higher current than regular Ni-MH batteries. For example, in my DSLR flash, they recharge the flash in about half the time of some of my other regular Ni-MH batteries. Also, as I only use my flash occasionally, I no longer have the issue of taking out the camera and finding that the batteries have gone flat.

Eneloops are awesome. I use them in our electric toothbrushes, xbox 360 controllers, wireless keyboard/mouse, digitla camera. They hold they’re charge really well (at last a long time).

I had regualar nimh batteries before, and the fact they drain without use really sucked.

I have successfully used eneloops since they first came out. The lower MAh rating, 2000 vs the typical 2500 is only part of the longevity story. Most battery operated electronics cut off when battery voltage gets to a certain point, typically around .9v to 1.0v. Eneloops maintain their voltage much higher throughout the discharge cycle, so a higher capacity standard Ni-MH battery may not last nearly as long as the eneloop in actual use.

A good case in point is my Canon Powershot A540. Regular 2500MAh rechargeables last about 300 pictures, whereas the eneloops delivered 438 pictures. See the details at http://www.epinions.com/content_309637189252

Now for the bad news: Though I haven’t tried these batteries myself, the reviews I’ve read note that eneloops have a lower capacity than standard NiMH batteries. So while you may be able to charge the eneloops more times, you may have to charge them more frequently, especially for extended uses. If your device spends a lot of time on the shelf, however, the difference may be negligible.

I recall thinking the same thing before getting these home and driving them around the block a few times :). After years of putting up with my rechargeables self-discharging in all my electronics after just a month or two, these eneloops have been a delight to use :iagree:. I used to carry a spare set of alkalines in my camera bag, now its a spare set of eneloops. Just replaced the eneloops in my wireless mouse with a set that has been sitting in the battery drawer for months. For me, that kind of convenience and money savings far outweighs the slightly lower capacity that the low self-discharge technology produces :flower:.

I bought a Sanyo Digital Camera that came with the eneloop batteries and charger. They charge fast and don’t discharge sitting in the camera. There is nothing worse than grabbing a camera for a shot and finding out that the batteries you charged and replaced two weeks ago are dead.

My only issue is that they maintain voltage so well that the camera’s battery meter has a hard time giving you anything meaningful. It seems like you go from full battery to sorry no more pictures in about 10-20 shots.