Sandy Bridge - 1.65 volt dram voids warranty!

vbimport

I am seeing from NewEgg reports that Intel will void your Sandy Bridge warranty if they detect, or you admit to, using anything over 1.55 DRAMv (1.5 +/- 0.05 of ITT). Yes, I find this incredible but I’ve found 4-5 independent reports that Intel customer service will specifically ask you the dram model and if you report a memory model that is advertised as 1.65v (or if the default JEDEC says so), they will stop the conversation and tell you your processor warranty is voided.

And many of the 1.5v memories exceeds the standard in XMP mode (Corsair Vengeance claims they are the only ones qualified, but I know others have the right specs, at a price). I don’t know if they ask what profile you are using.

Yikes! Something to really think about, since many of us are probably running 1.65v dram right now with our Sandy Bridge processors. If you have to call Intel - be prepared.

I should have said (1.5 +/- 0.5 of VTT), I think.

Frankly, the specs are all over the place (e.g. 1.5v +/- 5%). The VTT issue was primarily for Gen 1 of Core 2, and it is unclear if the restriction is still in affect with Gen 2 (Sandy Bridge).

I am going to Intel, the only way to know for sure!

All my Sandy Bridge RAM is DDR3 1600mhz @ 1.50V and runs fine. Unless you are running SLI video your do not need more than 8gbs. I use Gskill but if they are listed as compatible by your motherboard manufactorer they will be fine.

So where is the problem? Run stuff within specs then you’re fine. If you don’t want, then use at your own risk. As usual.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2595306]So where is the problem? Run stuff within specs then you’re fine. If you don’t want, then use at your own risk. As usual.

Michael[/QUOTE]

The problem is dumb-bunnies like me that didn’t realize SB had the constraint :sad:

That said, I am going to run the Crucial Ballistix a little looser and see if they’ll run at 1.5v. Why not just get 1.5v memory? Well, I really like the light-show! Of all the led-capable memory, I’ve seen currently available, it is all 1.65v or higher.