SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64GB

vbimport

Hi,

Here are a few benchmarks taken on an Asus P8Z77 mobo with the Asus USB 3.0 Turbo Boost (UASP) capability engaged -

Impressive sequentials!

On the box it says it will do ‘up to’ 190MB/s read and 170 MB/s write - a bit of an understatement really.

Regds, JR

Thanks for the post, those are indeed amazing results! Does the Turbo Boost feature do a lot of difference?

That’s pretty fast!

For our optical disc comparison in write speeds:

[ul]
[li]700MB CD in ~3.5 seconds
[/li][li]4.7GB DVD in ~22 seconds
[/li][li]8.5GB DVD DL in ~40 seconds
[/li][li]25GB Blu-ray in ~2 minutes - equiv. 45x BD write speed.
[/li][li]50GB Blu-ray DL in ~4 minutes
[/li][/ul]

As for read speeds, in optical disc comparisons:

[ul]
[li]700MB CD in ~2.5 seconds
[/li][li]4.7GB DVD in ~17 seconds
[/li][li]8.5GB DVD DL in ~30 seconds
[/li][li]25GB Blu-ray in ~90 seconds - equiv. 61x BD write speed :bigsmile:
[/li][li]50GB Blu-ray DL in ~3 minutes
[/li][/ul]

Now it’s just a matter of the price/GB catching up with blank optical media. :cool:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2668719]Thanks for the post, those are indeed amazing results! Does the Turbo Boost feature do a lot of difference?[/QUOTE]

Hi,

For comparison here’s an Atto with boost off -

I’ll post a comparative CDM later (I need to wait for my image host to complete the deletion of old images as I’ve run out of space)

Regds, JR

Thats totally awesome for USB 3.0. I don’t think I have ever seen benches that high for any USB 3.0 device. Congrats JR.:clap:

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2668740]Hi,

For comparison here’s an Atto with boost off -

I’ll post a comparative CDM later (I need to wait for my image host to complete the deletion of old images as I’ve run out of space)

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I’m not really good at reading these graphs, I prefer the CDM ones, but that seems to make a pretty big difference right?!

Hi,

It does seem to make a big difference. Here’s a CDM with boost off -

For interest here are some benchmarks of an OCZ Vertex 4 in a USB 3.0 enclosure -

From what I have learnt since I started tinkering with the Asus boost capability it is important for the USB 3.0 device/enclosure to support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol).

The enclosure used here is a Silverstone RSV02, which uses an ASM1051E controller (that supports UASP)

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=Seán;2668720]That’s pretty fast!

[ul]
[li]700MB CD in ~3.5 seconds[/li][li]4.7GB DVD in ~22 seconds[/li][li]8.5GB DVD DL in ~40 seconds[/li][li]25GB Blu-ray in ~2 minutes - equiv. 45x BD write speed.[/li][li]50GB Blu-ray DL in ~4 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]700MB CD in ~2.5 seconds[/li][li]4.7GB DVD in ~17 seconds[/li][li]8.5GB DVD DL in ~30 seconds[/li][li]25GB Blu-ray in ~90 seconds - equiv. 61x BD write speed :bigsmile:[/li][li]50GB Blu-ray DL in ~3 minutes[/li][/ul]Now it’s just a matter of the price/GB catching up with blank optical media. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Very interesting Sean, thank you.

Another comparison - the 64GB stick has roughly as much space on it as 1,000 IBM 3310 disk drives, which was one of the first disk drives I ran commercially (attached to an IBM 4331 CPU)… and you would need a hanger to put 1000 3310s in :smiley:

Cheers, JR

Of course the Sandisk Extreme Stick is very fast. I also have the 64GB Stick.
But on a Stick with a Read/Write speed of more than 100MB/s, you should choose a testsize of more than just 100MB, because small sizes on that speeds are not that accurate.

Stick testet on a PCI Express Controller Card connectet to a PCI Express 1.1 Port, so speed may be limited by the bus.

Hi Vellex,

Point taken -

Regds, JR

That’s with Turbo Boost? :bigsmile::stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2669035]That’s with Turbo Boost? :bigsmile::p[/QUOTE]

Yep

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=Seán;2668720]That’s pretty fast!

[ul]
[li]700MB CD in ~3.5 seconds
[/li][li]4.7GB DVD in ~22 seconds
[/li][li]8.5GB DVD DL in ~40 seconds
[/li][li]25GB Blu-ray in ~2 minutes - equiv. 45x BD write speed.
[/li][li]50GB Blu-ray DL in ~4 minutes
[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]700MB CD in ~2.5 seconds
[/li][li]4.7GB DVD in ~17 seconds
[/li][li]8.5GB DVD DL in ~30 seconds
[/li][li]25GB Blu-ray in ~90 seconds - equiv. 61x BD write speed :bigsmile:
[/li][li]50GB Blu-ray DL in ~3 minutes
[/li][/ul]

Now it’s just a matter of the price/GB catching up with blank optical media. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Sure, I’m sure that’s what the HDD industry is waiting for… eminent demise, overnight. $40 1tb ($160 for 4tb) usb flash with faster than HDD speeds on read/write. at $4/TB it’d be insane to use optical discs anymore. Meanwhile, 32gb is now ~$20… it’ll be $5 in 2 years… companies would rather phase it out than charge less than $5.

The big thing about UASP for USB3 is for SSDs. With UASP you also get NCQ (Native Command Queuing), so 4K random performance gets a big boost in performance.
I would reckon you could run a UASP connected SSD over USB3 for an OS, and would be hard pressed to tell the difference from an SSD connected to SATA.

@[B]JR[/B], does that Silverstone enclosure require a firmware update to support UASP, or does it support it out of the box?

I have one of those enclosures arriving soon, via Scan computers.

[QUOTE=Dee;2670561]
@[B]JR[/B], does that Silverstone enclosure require a firmware update to support UASP, or does it support it out of the box?
[/QUOTE]

Hi Dee,

I am not certain. I’ve been assuming it does as the controller I believe it uses lists UASP capability (but maybe it needs to be enabled by fw)

As a matter of interest CDI also shows it as supporting NCQ. Here follows a screenshot taken with a Vertex 4 inside the enclosure, plugged into my laptop.

I don’t take this as strong evidence as I guess there’s a big difference between the NCQ flag being on and it actually being supported. Are you able to test this definitively?

Regds, JR

p.s. Aida64 also shows NCQ as being supported

USB3 over SCSI offers very limited NCQ. UASP offers NCQ at a much higher queue depth.

If UASP is supported by the connecting device eg Silverstone enclosure then the UASP ICON would appear at the top. Also if UASP is supported, the TURBO mode button is replaced by a USAP button, in Asus USB3 Boost.

As we can see from the screenshot. Mines only supports TURBO mode, not UASP.

Hi Dee,

Just to confirm UASP is not offered on my Asmedia ports.

So, now I want a thermaltake unit :slight_smile: (thank you)

I think, as well, I’ll try asking Silverstone if they can enable UASP.

Kind regds, JR

p.s. I wonder why it was too difficult for Asus to tell us in any of their documentation that if UASP is supported it is offered as a separate and better option to turbo :confused:

Thank you for the pointers Dee :slight_smile:

Regds, JR

As far as I can see, the Thermaltake BlacX 5G docks are the only USB3 device that support UASP.
But not all BlacX 5G units support UASP. The only model that supports UASP is the ST0019[B]U[/B]. Note the U in the model number. The ST0019B/E have a JMicron SATA3 to USB3 bridge and don’t support UASP. The ST0019U is only available in the USA.

The new BlacX 5G Snow edition (ST0043) do support UASP, but they don’t seem to be available yet.
http://uk.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001949