SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD Review - Performance at a bargain price

vbimport

I just posted the article SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD Review - Performance at a bargain price.

We take a look at the SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD - Performance at a bargain price.
Can this SandForce SF-2281 based SSD with toggle mode NAND compete with state of the art offerings from other SSD manufacturers?

Let’s find out in this review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/sandisk-extreme-120gb-ssd-review-performance-at-a-bargain-price-61778/](http://www.myce.com/review/sandisk-extreme-120gb-ssd-review-performance-at-a-bargain-price-61778/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I own the 240gb version of this drive Wendy and have not even installed it yet. But from what I have heard its a great drive as you have just shown us, great review Wendy, and I think the SSD may be great also but I personally think OCZ has set the bar here with the new Vertex 4 and all others will be playing the catch up game.

The price is competitive, but no better than any other comparable 120GB 3rd generation SSD. I’d say that many folks would opt for a 2nd generation SSD (for the average desktop) and save the bucks.

[QUOTE=CDan;2635524]The price is competitive, but no better than any other comparable 120GB 3rd generation SSD. I’d say that many folks would opt for a 2nd generation SSD (for the average desktop) and save the bucks.[/QUOTE]
I usually agree with you CDan, but if you are talking about the Apple crowd that has to go with SATA2 on 90% of their Mac Pros I agree, but if you are talking about the PC crowd that builds and benchmarks, you are not right, these people have been looking for new tech in SSDs like OCZs Indilinx and SATA111 Toshiba Toggle Nand. Its the best and people who build their rigs and want the best for a few bucks more can get it.

Thanks for another great review :flower:

Just have a quick question. Currently the Samsung 830 128GB SSD is priced comparable to this SanDisk drive in the US. Looking at my CrystalDiscMark results with the Samsung, I’m inclined to think it may be a better choice of the two. But I’m not the expert :). Is there anything about the 830 that might make the Sandisk a better option for all-around desktop performance? Wish I could send you a Sammy 830 and get your hands-on opinion ;).

CDM results:

I recently purchased the 256GB SanDisk Extreme model. As my motherboard lacks SATA3, I also picked up an PCIe SATA3 card (IOCrest Asmedia ASM1061). While not as fast as Intel’s on-board SATA3, it seems to be the next best option without forking out on an expensive RAID card.

The following are two benchmarks of this SSD with this card in my PC. The left image is the SSD straight out of the box. The right image is after a few days of regular use. I’m quite a heavy multitasker and have been using VirtualBox on it (Virtual PC running Windows 8), so it seems this has had an impact on the write performance, just something to beware of like with other SandForcce based SSDs:

Either way, at least the read performance remains the same and I’m still very happy with its performance considering it was the second cheapest ~240GB SSD I could find at the time (£157 on Amazon UK.)

For anyone curious on how the Asmedia 1061 card performs, the following is a benchmark using the ‘0xFF Fill’ mode, which basically tests any SandForce-powered SSD in its “best case” scenario:

Yo Wendy-

Darn EXCELLENT review-eh!! :clap: :clap:

This is one of the best SSD reviews I have ever read. I really like your style of writing. The analysis of what to look for in a SSD is excellent. The set of benchmarks you used is great too. Great work, Dee!

I have the 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD and enjoy it every moment. This is one of the fastest SSD overall in most real life workloads. See my benchmarks below.

Anvil’s

SSD240GB_Anvils.png

CDM - random

CDM - zero fill

AS_SSD

[QUOTE=killabee_me;2637868]This is one of the best SSD reviews I have ever read. I really like your style of writing. The analysis of what to look for in a SSD is excellent. The set of benchmarks you used is great too. Great work, Dee!

I have the 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD and enjoy it every moment. This is one of the fastest SSD overall in most real life workloads. See my benchmarks below.

Anvil’s

SSD240GB_Anvils.png

CDM - random

CDM - zero fill

AS_SSD

Welcome to Myce.com killabee_me, the reviews here are the most inclusive and knowledgeable on the internet. The reviewer that did this particular review is well known for her knowledge and reviews that everyone can understand. Its good to have you here. I hope you enjoy your stay.

People who are short sighted might opt for a slower/cheaper drive to save money, but the way many enthusiast users upgrade computers…

Basically the computer they have [I][B]NOW[/B][/I] might not take full advantage
of a drive like this (currently retailing for $129), but their [I][B]NEXT[/B][/I] computer certainly will…

This is my SSD

Sigh
I think Sandisk’s attempts at creating competitive SSDs are the reason why Sandisk’s line of “Sansa” DAPs has gone down the toilet. The Fuze was a great alternative to iPods, but it’s successor, the Fuze Plus was a surprisingly sloppy and careless attempt at creating something decent. The Sandisk forums is full of (identical) horror stories of DOA units. Then, Sandisk stopped releasing firmware updates, and has yet to supersede the Fuze Plus.

In fact, Pamaury, a developer of Rockbox.org, has hypothesized that the firmware is actually some RTOS not originally developed for this device, which certanly explains why everything is so laggy and buggy.
:sad: