Samsung vs sony vs?

Hi guys, this is my first post here, and before I posted it i tried to look through the stickys, i can’t believe how much info is on this board…

Anyways, I was interested in a sony dru 830a burner. I found out thanks to this board that it is basically a samsung SH-S182D. I found the samsung for $30 but the sony is around $60-$70.

Is there any reason to pick the sony over the samsung? If its the same hardware, wouldn’t you rather save $30?

I’ve been burning with a old sony 8x, and its treated me well, but i would like some more speed. That is why i was looking at the dru 830a.

Basically I’m just looking for something to back up my dvd movies. I don’t really care much about the time it takes to scan it, i just care about not making expensive coasters. I’m willing to spend up to $100 on a burner, but i would like to save money if i can. I haven’t read much negatives on the burners I mentioned, but if anyone has a different opinion i wouldn’t mind reading it.

Welcome to CD Freaks.

I doubt that the Sony is a rebadged Samsung, more likely a rebadged Liteon.

Either way there’s no reason to pick a Sony over the a Liteon or Samsung. I’ve got , amongst others, the Samsung 182M & it’s a fine burner & very good reader.

I’m moving this to the Optical Drives forum where you’ll get more help.

Hi and Welcome!

:clap: There are not many people who do that :slight_smile:

Anyways, I was interested in a sony dru 830a burner. I found out thanks to this board that it is basically a samsung SH-S182D. I found the samsung for $30 but the sony is around $60-$70.

Is there any reason to pick the sony over the samsung? If its the same hardware, wouldn’t you rather save $30?
I don’t think, there is any reason to prefer the Sony over the Samsung. The Sony might have the nicer frontplate and perhaps some more software (they often come with Nero Burning ROM instead of Nero Express, but that is restricted to only the Sony drive). But that is all.
I guess, you have already read the reviews for both drives:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Sony-DRU-830A-DVD-Burner-Review
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review

I haven’t read much negatives on the burners I mentioned, but if anyone has a different opinion i wouldn’t mind reading it.
Some users complain about issues with DVD-R media. The drive is fine with DVD+R. The same applies for its Sony branded sibling.

Michael

:disagree: It IS a rebadged Samsung. Even successful crossflashes were reported. :cool:

Either way there’s no reason to pick a Sony over the a Liteon or Samsung.
:iagree: :iagree:

I’ve got , amongst others, the Samsung 182M & it’s a fine burner & very good reader.
Its reading capabilities are even better than Liteon if speed does not matter :slight_smile:

Michael

TSST says it all. :iagree:
Anyone interested of this drive, here is a nice review by [I]zevia.[/I]

Well you learn something new every day.

Yea, I saw that, but thats fine with me since I have a whole bunch of DVD+R.

I did some research, the only difference between the Samsung 182M and 182D is the lightscribe? Its only a $3 difference on newegg… But if they’re basically the same drive, i’d rather save my $3 and go buy a beer. Thanks guys

Hi,

Yes. :iagree: If you don’t need Lightscribe, then get a good beer for the money you save then :smiley: