Samsung vs LiteOn vs Optiarc

vbimport

I need a new DVD writer. I mostly burn in Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs. I would also like my drive to be good at reading old self-burnt CD and DVD discs (lots of different manufacturers). I need my discs to last as long as possible. These are the choices i got:
Samsung SH-S203D(sata),SH-S202H/J
LiteOn LH-20A1S-15C(sata),DH-20A4P-21C
Optiarc AD-7170S,AD-7203S(both sata)
Can someone please give me an advice? Most of these drives are SATA but using a SATA drive is a bit difficult for me (possible though). So i would like to know which one of those IDE drives is best but i also would like to know which one of those all is the best.

Welcome to the forum. All these you listed make good burners. I think price will win over anything else. The cheapest in price is the one you should buy.

Between those three, I would get the liteon personally

I would go for the new pioneer 115D but if you have to choose between those choices then I’d go for the 7203

The new 7200/7203 got an excellent review w/excellent burn quality. :iagree:

Of your choices; I personally would go with the Optiarc.

+1 for the new Optiarc.

Optiarc or the Litey for me. I’ve heard good stuff about the latest Optiarcs, and my older 5170S is a terrific burner. But if IDE is a better option for you than SATA, perhaps you’d be better suited to the Litey DH-20A4P.

Thanks everyone for your help

Optiarc useing restamped liteon, cheap. Lg I have one Good, Samsung ? Asus Iwould like to know

Get your information straight first before posting. The 7170S and 7203S are genuine NEC/Optiarc designs, not LO rebadges.

[QUOTE=tonyy1919;2102996]Optiarc useing restamped liteon, cheap. Lg I have one Good, Samsung ? Asus Iwould like to know[/QUOTE]

Yeah seriously just because you may have seen something in the past doesn’t mean that you can apply it to “everything”

the new 7200 (Genuine) is one of the best burners on the market right now and not anywhere near cheap.
I own three of them

Thumbs up for the Optiarc

I was a stanch NEC User, I recommended them to all my customers, I also tried optiarc 18X IDE was good 20X Sata & Ide gave me Problems. When I build A system I make Sure it works , Optiarc Started Giveing me problems . Now if they are making a another good one I may try. Have not yet found a drive to match the quality of the old nec. People did not know the name but loved the quality, always said to me had to be big brand name. Find me Somthing Equal to The Old NEC! Than you have a good burner. last real good was 16x used for 3 years than sold computer, person that bought used 1 year than sold with no problems. Have had LG For almost 3 years but touchy, Tried Phillips SATA good IDE Problems. still looking. What would you recomend. Liteon Cheap What is good. I’m a one man operation . I need High Quality Burner. Plextor Dependable, But overpriced. I have a small margin to work with.

[QUOTE=tonyy1919;2102996]Optiarc useing restamped liteon, cheap.[/QUOTE]

Not always. The Optiarcs I had in mind at the time of my post were the 72xx series and the 5170S…both NEC chipsets.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2103055]Yeah seriously just because you may have seen something in the past doesn’t mean that you can apply it to “everything”

the new 7200 (Genuine) is one of the best burners on the market right now and not anywhere near cheap.
I own three of them[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the fact that Lite-Ons aren’t “cheap” either. :rolleyes:

one more Optaric here 7200 series :clap:

[QUOTE=negritude;2103209]Not to mention the fact that Lite-Ons aren’t “cheap” either. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

True. My first (8x) DVD burner was a Litey, and believe me it was nowhere near cheap…of course things have changed a bit these days, but I’d still agree and wouldn’t call LiteOn “cheap” :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2103225]True. My first (8x) DVD burner was a Litey, and believe me it was nowhere near cheap…of course things have changed a bit these days, but I’d still agree and wouldn’t call LiteOn “cheap” ;)[/QUOTE]

My first CD writer (2X) was over £100 pounds.
So on that basis all DVD writers are very cheap!!!
If you look at current prices.
Lite-On do actually (almost always) cost the least.
Whereas some Sony/NEC optiarcs (don’t forget Plextor) are more often than not at the top of the price tarrifs.
But it is of course relative.
If it works for you then that’s what counts. :cool:

[QUOTE=xaozon;2015793]I need a new DVD writer. I mostly burn in Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs. I would also like my drive to be good at reading old self-burnt CD and DVD discs (lots of different manufacturers). I need my discs to last as long as possible. These are the choices i got:
Samsung SH-S203D(sata),SH-S202H/J
LiteOn LH-20A1S-15C(sata),DH-20A4P-21C
Optiarc AD-7170S,AD-7203S(both sata)
Can someone please give me an advice? Most of these drives are SATA but using a SATA drive is a bit difficult for me (possible though). So i would like to know which one of those IDE drives is best but i also would like to know which one of those all is the best.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to CDF.
Of the drives you list the NEC AD-7203S is the best SATA drive.
For your purposes that is.
The Lite-On DH-20A4P-21C is the IDE drive to go with.
Of these two the NEC is the better in terms of both build & quality - reading & burning.
To stick with IDE, the Pioneer 115/116 models would be ideal.
But as you don’t mention them, I guess they are not viable options.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2103230]
So on that basis all DVD writers are very cheap!!!
If you look at current prices.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s why I said “things have changed a bit these” days :wink:

Going by prices for a retail box, LiteOn aren’t the cheapest in some places I’ve been, compared to some other retail boxed drives…though they haven’t been the most expensive of the bunch, either. :wink: