Samsung TS-H552U. Problems playing in Panasonic Stand alone player

Hi,
I have a Samsung TS-H552U dvd writer and burned a DVD-RW (verbatim at 1 x) to try into my Panasonic RV31 dvd player. The player refuses to play the disc. I had a Pionner A03 or 04 and that same disc used to play everytime. I have the US06 firware on it. Does anyone have any tips on how to solve this ? or should I sell this writer and get another brand ?

Thanks!

I would not recommend using -R media on this drive, see my threads on the new US07 firmware and the mfg suggestion thread for examples. I did have good luck with Maxell branded DVD+RW 4x media on this drive, media code was Philips 041.

I have a bunch of dvd-r discs (100+)… Any suggestions for a good dvd-r drive ? I have a potential buyer for my samsung drive… It is still brand new. As is good enough for data. Just DVD video does not work at all for me.

Thanks!

What is the media code of your DVD-R? If you are still stuck with the 552U, I’ll suggest that you try using ala42’s MCSE to change to a writing strategy that works best with your particular batch of media.

A good DVD-R drive would be Pioneer as they were the originators of the DVD-R standard. They have excellent burn quality on most types of media, and I have been having better luck burning DVD+RW media with them than even my beloved super-multi LG writers recently. I have both the DVR-109 and DVR-110D. Highly recommended for great burn quality, not the ridiculous crapshoot that the TS-H552U remains. Nice build quality too, though the trays aren’t as smooth as the LG DVD writers. You might want to consider the LG 4167B as well, I have it as well and I believe it has superior booktype setting capabilities compared to the Pioneers, and impeccable DVD error correction.

FactFinder :
Here is the media code of my DVD-R and DVD-RW

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-RW:MCC 01RW11n9]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-RW] - [DVD-RW]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 01RW11n9]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG03]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Hitachi Maxell Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG03]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

What should I do with the MCSE utility ? Thanks!

cbjwthwm : I was thinking about the Pionner after reading the review on this site. I will look what is available around here at the B&M shops. Thanks for the info!

If you can sell the TS-H552U, sell it and get something more appropriate for this media. I wouldn’t waste the time and media patching Samsung’s firmware to compensate for their bad engineering on this drive. Based on the type and quantity of media you have I would recommend the Pioneer DVR-110D.

Thanks. Will do and report my experience with the Pionner drive.

Make sure you update it to the latest 1.37 firmware as Pioneer tends to restrict burn speeds with earlier firmware revisions and ramp them up once they can maintain ideal quality levels. Some very good quality media (CMC E01) is still supported at lower than certified speeds even with 1.37, but they are using a different chipset with the 110D than with the 109 from what I know. Previously the DVR-109 would support this 8x certified media at 12x, but many other media already burn at the same speeds as with the 109, and with superior quality to boot. I have faith they will again tune the 110D quality to the impressive levels I am accustomed to with their products.