Samsung TS-H552B to TS-H522U

Anyone tried the flash to the U Version?
I think they have sure the same Hardware.

Isn’t that TS-H552U? The U is for USB 2.0 and it’s just the external version of TS-H552B. The external version is only available in some regions like Europe. They have the same hardware inside.

thats not right!
the U Vers. has DVD-R speed of 16x and DL Speed 4x!

Do you have it or did you read it on a webpage?

1. If you have one, there’s probably some stickers on top of the drive if you remove the external case. What’s there, 552B or 552A?

2. If you read it on a webpage, can you share the link?

That they have the same hardware should be right unless I heard incomplete information. How do you know it’s not right?

i read the specs of the U Vers. at the samsung HP

Link:
http://www.samsungoms-europe.com/samsung.php?section=product&id=Writemaster%20TS-H552U&group=multi

You could have just said “TS-H552U” and “Samsung Europe” and adding the link in the first place. Your post started from TS-H522U, and then after readin my first post, you said I was not right. Is this some kind of test?

Anyway, exactly where does it prove what I said was wrong. This is the specficiation for TS-H552U posted on that page.

Specifications

Data Transfer Rate Write on CD Rewritable: 40x (6,000 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD-R: 16x (16,200 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD+R: 16x (21,600 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD-RW: 4x (5,400 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD+RW: 4x (5,400 KB/sec)
Double Layer: DVD+R 4x (3,240 KB/sec)
Average Seek Time DVD-ROM: 130ms
Average Seek Time CD-ROM: 110ms
Interface: Enhanced IDE (ATAPI)
Loading Type: Motorized Tray
Dimensions (WxHxDmm): 148.2 x 42 x 184
Buffer Memory: 2 MB
Supported Disc: DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, CD-Audio, Video-CD, CD-I, Photo CD, CD-EXTRA, CD-TEXT

The following is the TS-H552B specification if you choose 552B instead of 552U.

Specifications

Data Transfer Rate Write on CD Rewritable: 40 x (6,000 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD-R: 12 x (16,200 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD+R: 16 x (21,600 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD-RW: 4 x (5,400 KB/sec)
Data Transfer Rate Write on DVD+RW: 4 x (5,400 KB/sec)
Double Layer: DVD+R 2.4 x (3,240 KB/sec)
Average Seek Time DVD-ROM: 130ms
Average Seek Time CD-ROM: 110ms
Interface: Enhanced IDE (ATAPI)
Loading Type: Motorized Tray
Dimensions (WxHxDmm): 148.2 x 42 x 184
Buffer Memory: 2 MB
Supported Disc: DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, CD-Audio, Video-CD, CD-I, Photo CD, CD-EXTRA, CD-TEXT

And I said.

Isn’t that TS-H552U? The U is for USB 2.0 and it’s just the external version of TS-H552B. The external version is only available in some regions like Europe. They have the same hardware inside.

To which you said.

thats not right!
the U Vers. has DVD-R speed of 16x and DL Speed 4x!

You must have been confused.

sorry.i misunderstood your answer.
i think you meant the U vers. is only a USB Burner.

the U vers. is a internal burner with higher speeds.if they have the same hardware, we can flash the B vers. up to higher speeds.

That’s what I meant actually. Only being USB but internally the same.

The difference might be only the firmware. Someone has to buy TS-H552U to know for sure. Firmware version, release date, chipset, etc. Only in Europe as far as I know yet.

well i have a TS-H5522U and i its not an USB 2.0 burner , its a plain “old” internal unit, i read somewhere that there is a manufacturer differance between the “B” and the “U” ver , don’t ask for the link it was a google hunt for a newer firmware :slight_smile: , and it said that the “B” version was made by Toshiba ,and the “U” version was revised by Samsun. And i have to say that compared to my other samsumg (12x) drive wich gave in just after 4 months’s inacceptable operation (costerd the DVD-R) disks like crazy , i got this one back from warranty , and i can say that im perfectly content with this one , it’s comparable to the LG and Asus wrighters i have seen

As a matter of interest, PC World in the UK are selling Freecom drives that turn out to be TS-H552U units when you open the box - even though the Freecom web site implies that their 16x drives are Pioneer (i.e. gives a Pioneer firmware upgrade). The one I got came with U01 firmware (manufactured in Nov 04) and now has U05; I’ve not done any quality scans on it yet.

Paul