SAMSUNG SHS203B vs SHS203D?

vbimport

May i know what’s the difference between the above two mentioned dvd-writers? How does the suffix of ‘D’ and ‘B’ signify it’s functionality since it’s the same model. It seems only the current SHS203D is prevalent in the market now. I am looking at obtaining a new dvd-writer for my computer, if compared to the SHS223F and SHS203D which would be a feasible choice?

I have a 203D but not a 203B. In my opinion the scans of the 203D are comparable to the 203B.

I would get the SHS223F - admittedly 22x is generally useless in practise if you want high quality burns. But the faster dual layer read of the 223F (with modified firmware) would make the difference for me - as mentioned in the Patch utility thread.

Are both samsung shs203d cross-flashable to shs-203b vice versa? After checking out the shs223f reviews it seems that it is not really a stable writer at the 22x nomenclature yet. Beside samsung are there any writers which are on par with comparisons to samsung e.g. pioneer, plextor?

Hi,[QUOTE=LebronJames23;2096244]May i know what’s the difference between the above two mentioned dvd-writers?[/quote]different hardware, different media support.

How does the suffix of ‘D’ and ‘B’ signify it’s functionality since it’s the same model.
The “suffix” B or D is the essential part of the name since it describes the model. 203 means only “20x, Sata interface”.
It seems only the current SHS203D is prevalent in the market now.
Yes. 203D is the successor of 203B. Same applies to 203N and 203P.

[QUOTE=LebronJames23;2096388]Are both samsung shs203d cross-flashable to shs-203b vice versa?[/quote]No.

are there any writers which are on par with comparisons to samsung e.g. pioneer, plextor?
Plextor is just recycling drives from other manufacturers.
To see what drive is better for your own demand, just read the “Results and Discussions” threads for these drives. Additionally, haveing a look into the stickies (Read First) and reviews is a good idea to decide what drive will be your personal favourite.

Michael

If I were to ask - would the 203D be worth purchasing over the 223f - what would you suggest.

In fact i am seeking a general all-round performer for a new rig - would you suggest any other driver over this.

Hi,[quote=Amarz;2096845]If I were to ask - would the 203D be worth purchasing over the 223f - what would you suggest.[/quote]It is not polite to jump into an existing thread for a different topic. :cop:
Especially since you already opened a thread about this.

Do some reading and make your own mind.

Michael

mciahel,

You are correct that I have already opened a new thread about this.

I would ask though, that you re-read the original post, as I just re-iterated the final part of the initial post. The aim of the initial poster was to make a purchasing choice, but you did not offer an opinion in your response. As a Moderator & Devices Editor, I would very much like your opinion on which burner too.

Thanks Amarz.

Hi,[quote=Amarz;2097111]
You are correct that I have already opened a new thread about this.[/quote]then please don’t attempt to hijack this one please. Thanks.

The aim of the initial poster was to make a purchasing choice, but you did not offer an opinion in your response.
I know. I don’t like recommending a piece of hardware that I don’t have personal experience with.
I would very much like your opinion on which burner too.
Since any drive has its own weaknesses and strengths (and its own feature set), there is no such thing like “the best burner”. For general purpose and peace of mind, I personally would consider having a look at Pioneer’s x15 or x16 series.

Michael