Samsung SH-W183 DVD±RW SATA problems reading burned discs

vbimport

Hi all

I just built a brand new machine and got the Samsung SH-W183 SATA burner.

I have a problem in that the dvd has big problems recognising burned dvds. I use ritek g5 media and this has never been a problem before.

The problem is manifested by taking about 4-5 tries to recognise a dvd when inserted (I open the tray and close it again, to try to re-read it). If it recognises it, read spead is very very slow. I tried to install a backed up game for example and it took more than an hour due to slow read speed.

Original dvds don’t seem to have any problem. But I have trouble reading even data (mp3s, avis, data, anything) dvds.

I bought a pioneer IDE dvd and this one works fine.

This leads me to believe that it is either the SATA connection (I doubt it), or the burner has a lock on non-original (correct term?) dvds.

Any pointers?

Many thanks!

Welcome to CDF’s:

Put an already burned disc in your W183 and run a Transfer Rate test and a Burst Rate test with Nero CD-DVD Speed then save the pics and post them here please. If you don’t have the program you can click on it to download and it’s a free program.

The media choice is crap, and IDE has nothing related to SATA here.

Make sure SATA has RAID disabled.

Good advice

Thank you for the replies.

1. I will run the test and post pictures later tonight when I get home.
  2. Could you suggest a better media? I never had problems with Ritek G5 and they are very readable from proper dvd players, which is very important to me.
  3. SATA RAID is indeed disabled.

I remember reading something about a lock or something like that that the Samsung dvd burners have in their firmware, preventing backups etc. Is that true?

Thanks again.

Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brands. The drive might only read at 12X. It might be locked to that. Some drives will read at 16X. Is that what you mean? Let see what you get on these tests.

(Note: my machine recognises the dvd drive as SH-S183A. I guess this is the correct name.)

Ok, I run a speed test with nero with a burned dvd, here is the picture of the result:

Well it should be reading Single layer discs at 12X and looks like it should burn at 18X with recommended media with Burst Rate. Everything else looks good to go. Not sure what to tell you why it’s so slow reading.

I’m using a S183L SATA on a 865 intel based mobo and get close to the same numbers as you.

Save your image as a .png file. They look more clear and are standard format here for posting scans. Sorry i forgot to tell you.

Just curious, why disable SATA RAID? You can’t run a RAID array and still use SATA DVD burners? :confused: :confused: :confused:

That is the problem with those software RAIDs. You can even connect optical drives to them but will only get issues at all. It’s kinda like with optical drives connected to extra ide controllers. The cheapest ones without an own BIOScan work with the drives, the expensive ones with extra BIOS won’t.

Some mobo’s and BIOS’ even have big issues when SATA HDDs with different SATA standards/revisions are connected - it shouldnt be the case but sadly practice has shown this problem.

Could this be related to the -R lead-in issue? Have you tried +R discs? Give the Samsung its own power connector (not shared with other devices on the same cable).

I am afraid I do not know what the ‘-R lead-in issue’ is.
I have not tried +R discs as I haven’t got any. The main problem is that it will not read my already burned discs. I have not tried burning a disc yet though. Originals are read fine. So it seems to me that this is a disc issue, rather than anything else.

I see no reason why the drive should have its own power connector, I never had any problems like that. In any case, the only other thing connected to the same power cable is a fan, so no biggy.

I still want to ask if you know of any firmware/rom updates/patches regarding the lock that (as I have briefly read, but still looking for the links again) the manufacturer(s) put so as to prevent the drives reading copied discs. Sorry if this is vague, I am trying to find where on earth I read this info a few days ago.

Here’s a link: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=196908

Nope, such things doesn’t exist.