Samsung SH-S223Q causes long delay at bootup

vbimport

I searched all the S223 threads, expecting to see others with this problem, but could find nothing similar.

Ever since I bought this drive to replace the one that came with my Dell Dimension desktop (which didn’t have DVD-RAM support), it has caused a seemingly endless delay after starting or rebooting my computer. During the hardware enumeration part of the computer’s POST routine, it halts after enumerating my first three SATA devices and sits there for 60-90 seconds waiting to recognize the Samsung writer before the boot sequence continues to start loading my operating system – unless there is already a disc in the drive or unless I bend down and open/close the drive tray, in which case booting will continue immediately.

The drive is listed correctly in my BIOS settings; it just won’t answer the computer’s startup probe during POST (until, I guess, POST times out and the computer goes on booting anyway). At first, I thought maybe I’d set the drive’s jumper wrong but, after reopening the computer and removing the drive, I remembered that it doesn’t have a visible jumper (something no longer necessary with SATA drives, I guess).

I already have the latest firmware installed (SB03).

I’m getting really tired of dealing with this, since I have a dual-boot system and often restart the computer several times a day. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this or if there’s a way to fix it?

What SATA controller does the computer/mobo have?

Do you have an option in the BIOS where you can set up the SATA modes?

Hi, chef. Thanks for the reply.

It’s an Intel ICH8R SATA RAID controller. Don’t know what you mean by SATA “modes”. Each drive slot has the usual Auto Detect or Manual setting, as I recall. Everything else has always worked fine with the Auto Detect setting, including the old DVD writer that used to be in that slot. And, like I said, the Samsung device string for the SH-S223Q shows up correctly in that slot using Auto Detect.

Aside from that, in that section of the BIOS setup, I think the only other option (other than boot device priority) is a page for choosing either “RAID ON” or “AUTO/ATA”. I have to leave that set to “RAID ON” or Windows won’t boot.

Is there another option I should be looking for?

Then RAID ON is the problem, your sata controller struggles the properly mount the optical drive…
Maybe you could put the drive on another sata port and try again.

I’ve already tried that – makes no difference. The problem isn’t with the SATA controller, per se, but between the SATA controller and this particular device.

I have hard drives on SATA ports 0 & 1, a CD/DVD reader on port 4 and this CD/DVD writer on port 5 (there are no ports numbered 2 & 3 on my mobo). Like I said, I simply swapped this Samsung writer for the one that came with the machine (an LG), using the same port. The controller has never had any trouble mounting any of these devices until the Samsung drive was added – and still doesn’t (it only hangs when it gets to the Samsung drive, which is evidenced by the fact that opening the drive tray of the Samsung immediately un-hangs the boot sequence).

No, the problem is with this drive. I was just hoping that someone else here had experienced the same problem and had found a fix (swapping in an older firmware, or a third-party firmware, perhaps – but I don’t want to go monkeying about with it willy-nilly).

Thanks.

Okay, so maybe you could grab a LG writer for around €20 and try with it?

AFAIK, no LG model supports DVD-RAM discs – which is why I replaced my factory-installed DVD burner to begin with. I think Panasonic is the only other brand that does. I know they’re cheap so, someday, maybe I’ll look around and see what’s available.

Aside from this minor annoyance, the Samsung has been great – fast, reliable, no coasters, no other problems.

It’s just a pain because I reboot so often – so, barring anyone knowing of a fix, the next time I have a spare $30, I’ll look around for another model.

Thanks for your help.

:slight_smile:

Nowadays most drives support DVD-RAM (both reading and writing).
All LG writers, except the OEM models with limited firmware support, do. So do LiteOn and most Optiarcs (the 7xxx series does, the 5xxx series does not). :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=PBear_SF;2508622]I’ve already tried that – makes no difference. The problem isn’t with the SATA controller, per se, but between the SATA controller and this particular device.[/quote]Have you already tried another cable?

[QUOTE=PBear_SF;2509285]AFAIK, no LG model supports DVD-RAM discs – which is why I replaced my factory-installed DVD burner to begin with. [/QUOTE]This is simply wrong. LG was among the first who introduced DVD-RAM for consumer drives.
On the other hand, Dell has been famous for installing drives with DVD-RAM disabled by OEM firmware. Fortunately, this has changed roughly a year ago. They even offered firmware updates for some drives that enabled DVD-RAM capability.

Michael

That’s truly interesting, Mciahel. I’ve still got the old Dell-supplied DVD writer in a box somewhere. I’ll try putting it back in the computer and see what the latest firmware update does to it.

Cheers!

[QUOTE=PBear_SF;2509342]That’s truly interesting, Mciahel. I’ve still got the old Dell-supplied DVD writer in a box somewhere. I’ll try putting it back in the computer and see what the latest firmware update does to it.
[/QUOTE]No need to install the drive now - just check Dell support website and look if they state something about the DVD-RAM support in the changelog.
My personal guess: If the drive is older than approx. 2 years, then there is not much hope.

What drive model do you have exactly?

EDIT:
GSA-H31N haven’t seen an indication of DVD-RAM enabling firmware, but I suggest to search our LG section in order to see if this drive can be flashed to LG retail firmware which supports DVD-RAM for sure.
GSA-H73N: DVD-RAM support came with firmware C106

Michael

It’s the former, Michael, the GSA-H31N. Did find some links here with purported solutions and a firmware for the H30N, which is said to work, (restoring DVD-RAM capability).

Will check it out further soon.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=PBear_SF;2509342]That’s truly interesting, Mciahel. I’ve still got the old Dell-supplied DVD writer in a box somewhere. I’ll try putting it back in the computer and see what the latest firmware update does to it.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

You probably got cheated by Dell with your LG writer… They removed the DVD-RAM capabilities in their firmwares due to licensing costs. :Z
And, as Michael explained, LG always forced DVD-RAM with their drives. :flower:

I did it: Searched the site, found the firmware, reinstalled the Dell/LG drive and flashed it – and now I have my old drive back with DVD-RAM support.

First time I tried to flash it, the flash utility came back with “ERROR” and stopped dead. Thought I’d trashed the drive. But I waited 5 minutes (just to be sure it wasn’t still doing anything), clicked on the “Flash” button again and it restarted and went through without a hitch that time.

And now my computer boots up again like it should – no delay!

Wish I’d discovered this site a year ago, before I went and bought a new drive. Oh well, I’ve certainly got my $30-worth out of the Samsung all these months – and, now, I have a backup in case the LG goes south.

Thanks for all the help.

:smiley:

Glad you got it sorted :clap: :slight_smile:

Michael