Samsung SH-S223F does not work in AHCI-mode!

Hello!

my Samsung SH-S223f DVD burner does not work in Win XP x64 SP2.

It is installed in the device manager (no yellow exclamation mark).
It appears in the computer management and as drive letter e: but whenever I put a CD or DVD in data can’t be read. When I try to read data in a dos-box “device is not ready” appears.

When I connect the burner to another PC it works without problems.

The burner is connected to SATA-port 4 of the ICH9R on my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 board (on port 0 - 3 there are SATA-hdds). It runs in AHCI-mode. When I change to IDE-mode in BIOS it works but then I cannot use my harddrives. :sad:

What can I do to run the SH-S223f in AHCI-mode ?

I searched Samsung Germany, UK and US but I could not find a firmware for it. Where do I find the “live update firmware software” ?

Please help! Thank! :confused:

Hi and Welcome![quote=Fr0stbeule;2129965]
my Samsung SH-S223f DVD burner does not work in Win XP x64 SP2.
(…)
When I connect the burner to another PC it works without problems.[/quote]So there is nothing wrong with the drive.

The burner is connected to SATA-port 4 of the ICH9R on my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 board (on port 0 - 3 there are SATA-hdds). It runs in AHCI-mode. When I change to IDE-mode in BIOS it works but then I cannot use my harddrives. :sad:
The latter is odd. How could you verify, your drive works in IDE mode if your HDDs don’t work?

What can I do to run the SH-S223f in AHCI-mode ?
Get Sata drivers that work. AHCI is not designed to work with optical drives.

I searched Samsung Germany, UK and US but I could not find a firmware for it. Where do I find the “live update firmware software” ?
samsungodd.com But don’t want any live update firmware software.

Michael

It should work with a Intel chipset motherboard though. Currently, I have two SATA drives in this box, the Pioneer DVR-215 and the LiteOn iHAS 120, and both work without a hitch in AHCI mode connected to the onboard ports of my Asus P5W-DH Deluxe board (ICH7R).
I tried both drives in my gaming rig also (P45, ICH9R), and no problems there either.

Maybe WinXP x64 is the problem? I have WinXP SP3 installed on this machine (32bit), and Vista on the other (32bit).

I too can run ODD’s from on board SATA ports.
Regardless of of IDE/AHCI/RAID.
P45 chipset with either ICH9R/ICH10R.

packetloss, you might want to try Intel latest ICH10R.
MS has still to approve.
But for me it has been worth going with ICH10R.

Or there is always the option of an add in SATA card with a Sil chipset. :wink:

Hi,

The topic is quite old, but I also had problems with SH-S223F, Vista 64, and AHCI mode, with my Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard (Nforce 730i). Problem solved with a bios update :smiley:

However, with X38 and ICH9R (GA-X38-DS5 mobo), SH-S223F works perfectly in ahci or raid mode :slight_smile:

Have you tried connecting your burner on purple (gigabyte sata2 xxx) sata ports (maybe with the additionnal controller in ide mode) ?

Using a 223F on a P43 Mobo with Debian Linux, and i’ve been using AHCI on the drive since the day i installed it, works perfect.