Samsung SH-S223F died

vbimport

Well I don’t know what the occasion is, but my brand new 223F just seem to have died already.

Yesterday it was working fine, I burned a DVD, watched one and played a game using one. In the evening I tried to burn a DVD, but it failed. It seemed to be burning in ImgBurn, but nothing was written on the disk. I tried it again this morning, but with the same result. I found out that it isn’t reading anything anymore either. I uninstalled the drive from Windows, reinstalled it, but no luck. I re-flashed the default SB00 firmware (which is and was on it anyway), but nothing seems to help. It’s completely broken.

I just tried to burn a DVD in DiscSpeed, it seemed to burn, the graph was rather weird, but it showed a burn. Testing the Disc Quality afterwards didn’t work (error: “Drive does not support function”).

When testing the disk in another PC, it’s still empty.

That’s to bad. Can you try the drive in another pc and see what happens? Will it boot up with a windows OS disc in it?

I tried it in another PC with no luck, I had already tried a Linux bootable with no success.

But the good news is that I brought it back and got a replacement straight away. So I got a new drive installed and working already, very good service at the shop.

It’s working fine.

Hi :slight_smile:
Essau, that’s good news indeed. :bigsmile:

I purchased two of these units. One worked for about 3 weeks, burned about 6 DVD’s, Watched one movie and during the play of the second movie the drive just failed. I got a “Could not read” error. The drive is still recognizable in the PC, the drive will eject when right click - eject - is used. The drive will not Uninstall, will not read any disk inserted - light shows activity - but it will not play any movies, nor burn any disk. When I try, I put a single layer DVD disk in drive, then try to burn, I get a warning that “DVD is dual layer do I want to continue” I press yes even though i know it is a single, but it just errors out after that with a read problem. I have a RMA for a replacement but I thought everyone should be aware of the issue. I see others have posted a failed drive as well. I tried it in another PC with the same result. I even tried reflashing but the Samsung tool just disappears when it tell it to initiate a reflash…

I am not sure if this is just a rebranded LiteOn drive or not. When it failed it sure acted like the last piece of junk LiteOn drive I had in another PC of mine that burned one disk then wouldn’t burn another. At least Samsung has better tech support / replacement program than LiteOn…

The second Samsung unit I purchased at the same time (in the same PC) so far is still working however. I hope it stays working until I get the failed one replaced.

geez :sad:

I pretty much had the same problem then:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-sh-s223f-died-246738/

Merged threads.

[QUOTE=Essau;2077653]I tried it in another PC with no luck, I had already tried a Linux bootable with no success.

But the good news is that I brought it back and got a replacement straight away. So I got a new drive installed and working already, very good service at the shop.

It’s working fine.[/QUOTE]Do you happen to have the the retail version with the app SpeedPlus by chance?

I got the Retail version, but there is no such thing as an application SpeedPlus. SpeedPlus is a technology that allows burners to burn lower speed media at high speeds. Such as the 16x MCC 004 media burned at 20x without losing a lot quality.

[QUOTE=Essau;2078600]I got the Retail version, but there is no such thing as an application SpeedPlus. SpeedPlus is a technology that allows burners to burn lower speed media at high speeds. Such as the 16x MCC 004 media burned at 20x without losing a lot quality.[/QUOTE]oh i thought it was an app. Thank you for the info.

these drives are garbage i wouldn’t waste any $ on these they are crap. i bought 2 at the same time identical on ebay both have failed and it hasn’t even been 1 year! the 1st drive when you burn movies on it now the movies have errors, skip and even skips up to 20 minutes burning. the 2nd works except it’s now possessed. it scans for a disc at random on it’s own and even ejects itself at random by itself! I expect it to fail any day though now. i’m replacing BOTH of them their going in the trash.

I also had two of those (SH-S223F) and first one died within a year. I luckily gave second one away before it died (I was so happy to get rid of it), and people from the cinema club where I gave it were actually happy to recieve it.

Not sure if SH-S223B is any better, but I doubt.

I registered on this site only to voice my opinion about the Samsung SH-S223F. After a few months I started experiencing problems in reading discs (CD/DVD), and come to think of it I have NEVER been able to write to one. Suspecting a compability problem, I tolerated the occasional glitches until the drive went “dead” after about a year. In my case you can hear it trying to read loudly, but without success. I have installed the latest FW and run tests with all sorts of CDs and DVDs and its a lost cause. HW-failure from a standard component like this within a few months is beyond bad…