Samsung SH-S223F Choppy / Jerky Playback

vbimport

Installed the SH-S223F on a new i7 920 system using the Asus P6T motherboard. Updated Bios and Sata drivers, and that fixed most of the choppy playback problems. After updating the burner to the latest firmware, the problem is 99% gone… but if I do anything at all, even right clicking while inside Windows Media Player, the DVD playback will start to get very slow and choppy.

I tested the burner in a Dell machine, the same thing happens.

This is my first Sata burner, but so far it is a big disappointment. Should I RMA this for another model, or is there something I’m overlooking here? :frowning: Overall, the drive just feels sluggish and not as “solid” as my old LG IDE drive.

Any advice would be very helpful, I’ve only got about 8 days to make up my mind to return it or not.

[quote=BurnFreak08;2186488]Installed the SH-S223F on a new i7 920 system using the Asus P6T motherboard. Updated Bios and Sata drivers, and that fixed most of the choppy playback problems. After updating the burner to the latest firmware, the problem is 99% gone… but if I do anything at all, even right clicking while inside Windows Media Player, the DVD playback will start to get very slow and choppy.

I tested the burner in a Dell machine, the same thing happens.

This is my first Sata burner, but so far it is a big disappointment. Should I RMA this for another model, or is there something I’m overlooking here? :frowning: Overall, the drive just feels sluggish and not as “solid” as my old LG IDE drive.

Any advice would be very helpful, I’ve only got about 8 days to make up my mind to return it or not.[/quote]
What type of media are you using and burn speed? No click and no choppy video correct? I would refrain from running anything while watching the video unless your computer is the multi core processor type.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2186498]What type of media are you using and burn speed? No click and no choppy video correct? I would refrain from running anything while watching the video unless your computer is the multi core processor type.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I’m playing retail movie DVD’s, not burns. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Before it was choppy even when I’m not clicking things in windows, but after updating the drivers for the SATA controller, and updating the firmware on the DVD drive itself, now there is only choppy playback when I click around, yes.

I’m running a Quad Core i7 920 CPU with 6GB of ram. I just built the system two days ago. My previous system was a old dell P4, but it seemed like it had better dvd playback.

Is this dilemma normal? (smooth playback, but choppy if clicking in windows) I really don’t remember this happening on my old IDE burner in my P4 dell system. The DVD playback on that drive has stopped working months ago, so unfortunately I can’t do an A/B comparison. Perhaps this is just something particular to SATA burners?

Anyone else reading, feel free to drop in your thoughts on this!

Update…

Playing movies in Nero Showtime is smooth as silk, even if I’m doing other things in Windows at the same time. I can’t get it to play choppy at all, and that’s a good thing… Playback in Media Center is also good.

I have no idea why Media Player is so unstable when playing DVD’s. Very strange, but at least I know the burner itself is not defective. I’m using Vista Ultimate X64, so perhaps it has something to do with it.

install klmcodec pack and use media player classic or reinstall wmp11.