Samsung SH-S223C problems

vbimport

Hi everyone,
thanks in advance for your help.
few days ago i unfortunately bought Samsung SH-S223C DVD writer, i use it with external USB enclosure.
my problem mainly with DL disks, i tried to make image of DVD9 disks but many reading errors occur in many DVDs. then i checked the same DVDs with my internal laptop drive and it turn out without or few errors.
i updated firmware to SB03 but without improvement, i even tried firmware SB02 but same results.
is there is any other solution, or did i get a bad drive, if so what drive should i buy for best DVD5 and DVD9 reading capability.
highly appreciate your response.

You have got the best reading and ripping drive imo, I think you had better look into trying the drive internally in a different computer to see if the drive is bad.:iagree:

Welcome to the forums wkbag. I think everyone is going to want to know the make and model enclosure that you are using. Some are better than others for use with optical drives.

thank u for your help.
my enclosure is “LightWave”, model: LW-525SI, 5.25" Sata+ IDE HDD/DVD/CD Enclosure.
i already give my drive to a friend to test it as internal drive.
regards.

Well, I found the website for your enclosure, but it gives absolutely no information on the enclosure chipset, so I was no help at all with that.

[QUOTE=wkbag;2511275]thank u for your help.
my enclosure is “LightWave”, model: LW-525SI, 5.25" Sata+ IDE HDD/DVD/CD Enclosure.
i already give my drive to a friend to test it as internal drive.
regards.[/QUOTE]
When he tested it as an internal drive what were the results? I own that drive and most of its predecessors and I love it.

well thanks for your trouble, i think i have to wait for the result of testing the drive internally.
but what do u think of this model is it worth the trouble or do u recommend any better drive for reading DVD9
thanks

[QUOTE=wkbag;2511290]well thanks for your trouble, i think i have to wait for the result of testing the drive internally.
but what do u think of this model is it worth the trouble or do u recommend any better drive for reading DVD9
thanks[/QUOTE]
I love the drive, I have 4 of them. I use them basicly for reading and different drives for writing.:wink:

Yes it is official the Samsung SH-S223C is definitely a bad drive:(.
my friend tested the drive internally and got the same result, (error reading DVD9) which is working fine with his Lite-on drive.
Now return to my old question, which is best reader (not burner) for DVD9.
N.B.: also what is your experience with LG GH22NP20, do you think this is a good drive especially for reading DVD9.

thanks

anyone!! can u help

[QUOTE=wkbag;2511766]
N.B.: also what is your experience with LG GH22NP20, do you think this is a good drive especially for reading DVD9.[/QUOTE]I own a GH22LP20 which is the same drive plus Lightscribe. No direct experience with DVD9, but the drive is picky with the interface (PATA) it is connected to :eek:
Apart from that, LG drives are speed limited for DVD video by factory.

I’d personally go for a (real) Liteon. Or see if you can get a Samsung SH-S243x series drive. They seem to be not bad.

Michael

thanks a lot. any other suggestions.

also i have something to ask. why standalone dvd player play any dvd5 or dvd9 faster and without any hiccups, while same disk playback on PC seems to be slower, and even sometime problematic.

What software are you using for dvd playback? People seem to have more problems with the built in capability within Windows Media Player in Vista or Win7 than with some of the commercial programs. (Windows XP has no built in dvd decoder and relies on third party programs).

PowerDVD, WinDVD and Arcsoft Total Media Theater are some of the commercial players.

Free players include VLC, Media Player Classic HomeCinema and KM Player. There a few others.

I tried several free and commercial players such Media Player Classic HomeCinema, also tried windows media player, even Power DVD and Nero Showtime. it didn’t make much difference, always standalone DVD player is much faster and responsive the PC based players.
My O.S. is windows Vista Home Premium (came preinstalled on my hp dv-5 laptop)