Samsung SH-S203N a HUGE disappointment

The Samsung SH-S203N is a Ferrari with and old Volvo engine, grate specs
but obviously the dvd burner evolution goes backwords.
Its nothing wrong with the burner or the installation it works in sata 150.
So how can a new burner as this be much slower than my Almost 3 years old Benq DW1620Pro with Benqs own firmware???
It takes over 8 min to burn a 4.5Gb iso/img file in 12x speed on a Verbatim Dvd+r 16x MCC004(booktype dvd-rom), the same file and speed takes a little bit over 5 min with the Benq driver? And the burn result is better on the Benq according to nero burn test.
Same result on a Cdrw 24x almost 4 min on the samsung and about 2 min on the Benq this suxx. So obviously i did fall for the selling trick with new interface(sata 150) and faster burners(20x).
And i now i can download a thirdpart firmware to fix this but i wouldnt beacuse my old retired Benq is back in duty again.
So pepole out there dont fall for this, only buy a new burner if the old one dosent work any more.
The only good thing with this burner is the sata cable who gives a better airflow in the data cabinet.

[QUOTE=Markattan;1947910]
Same result on a Cdrw 24x almost 4 min on the samsung and about 2 min on the Benq this suxx. [/QUOTE][I]2 min[/I] for a 24x CDRW is wishful thinking.

Nope 2min and 19 sec (2 divx 354Mb)and i dont belive in Santa Claus any more, Samsung have learned me that he only exist on their SH-S203N specifications :slight_smile: So take a tour on the Benq forum and wish that Samsung sometime in the future can make burners like they did.
But i cant tell if they are as good as they were before, since LiteOn make the roules now.

Merry Cristmas

[QUOTE=Markattan;1947985]Nope 2min and 19 sec (2 divx 354Mb)[/QUOTE]Okay, so this a "half"disc. That information was missing in your initial post. Please check at what speed this particular media is supported by the Samsung drive.
From the reviews:
A 32x rated Verbatim CD-RW is burned within 3:23 minutes,
a 8-24x rated Traxdata CD-RW is supported at 10x only, so the writing time was 8:32.
On a 10x rated CD-RW, the Philips 1640 (nearly the same as Benq 1620) needs 8:37.
In short: nothing to be complain about here, since this issue is clearly media dependant.

Michael

[QUOTE=Markattan;1947910]It takes over 8 min to burn a 4.5Gb iso/img file in 12x speed on a Verbatim Dvd+r 16x MCC004(booktype dvd-rom), the same file and speed takes a little bit over 5 min with the Benq driver?[/QUOTE]
Although I tend to agree that the 203s are overrated, this issue can be fixed by grabbing the firmware from the following thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-s202x-s203x-s204x-fast-burn-fast-read-patched-firmware-228687/

[QUOTE=Markattan;1947910]It takes over 8 min to burn a 4.5Gb iso/img file in 12x speed on a Verbatim Dvd+r 16x MCC004(booktype dvd-rom), the same file and speed takes a little bit over 5 min with the Benq driver? And the burn result is better on the Benq according to nero burn test.
[/QUOTE]

Since when is the Samsung a BenQ???

I suggest you read some basic threads about what counts when burning to CD & DVD.

First of all, S203* drives are decent CD & DVD burners. They can handle all new media well. You better use quality media to get the best results. Also remember these drives works at their best on $ntel and SiliconImage mobos/chipset.
I’m very satisfied with my two S203* drives, one B and one N.

[I][B]Of topic.[/B][/I]

BenQ’s with Nexperia chip are the best 16x burners ever made, no doubt about that. Too bad Philips nowdays only is looking for cheapest solutions ie. Lite-On drives with MediaCrap, oops I meant MediaTEK chipset.

[I]@chef,[/I] please stop act as a smurf. Your two lines answers, in general you’r addressing members as “idiots” is not helpful att all. Spare some time and answer in a more constructive way, please. :flower:

Could you please use PM for your off-topic contributions? :cop:

Sorry about that mciahel. :sad:
But I’m sure quite many here will agree what been posted.

My apologies to all members for all my off topic posting. :flower:

I personally enjoy my 203N model and I love my LG H55L as well however I use CodeKings 203x FR/FW firmware and it has greatly improved on read and write times. I have yet got the chance to test some scans on it though and hope to get on that this weekend if all goes well.