Samsung SH-S203D problem

Hi all. First sorry, for my bad english.

So I have big problem. Yesterday, I bought new DVD-Writer (Samsung SH-S203D).

This works on SATA.

But if I burn some DVD movie, it burns it about ~30min. (12x speed) and my processor is on 100%.

I tried Verbatim, Benq and TDK media…

I used Nero 6.6.0.18 and now using Nero 7

I don’t know, where is a problem.

Here are some screenshots… Please help me. Thanks

Primary IDE channel

[B]Secondary IDE channel

My PC is:[/B]
AMD Athlon XP 1800 Mhz
MB: ASUS A7V880
512 DDR
1x Seagate 200GB ATA
1x Seagate SATA

Please, if somebody know how to fix my problem, write it here… Thanks

Welcome to the Forum, rEnEeK :slight_smile:

Unfortunately your Asus mainboard uses a VIA chipset, of which the SATA controller is not compatible with many optical drives. You can try and experiment with VIA Hyperion and/or Falcon IDE/SATA drivers (www.viararena.com), but there’s no guarantee for success.

The easiest solution will be to exchange your new SATA drive for a PATA version. Alternatively, you can install a compatible SATA PCI-card in your PC.

Uff, so there is no chance? :-/

Some other screens:

Yes, that’s a typical graph for VIA SATA, like it’s using PIO Mode and not DMA. I would try with the VIA drivers, but then you may not wish to pollute your Windows installation and risk creating more problems than you already have. :slight_smile:

Also, make sure SATA isn’t set to RAID operation in the BIOS (if there is such an option). Good luck!

Hm… And where I can find it in BIOS?

It’s very well possible that you don’t have any onboard SATA options in the BIOS. The VIA SATA/RAID operation is handled completely by the drivers/software in that case (as included in the Hyperion Pro driver package).

[QUOTE=Cressida;1990707]It’s very well possible that you don’t have any onboard SATA options in the BIOS.[/quote]Good idea not to buy Asus next time then :a

The VIA SATA/RAID operation is handled completely by the drivers/software in that case (as included in the Hyperion Pro driver package).
I suspect, the user has no choice then since the setting is kind of “hardwired” in the BIOS.

The absence of a configuration option in BIOS setup is a “feature” of Asus mainboards. Other manufacturers have such an option.
But since these older VIA southbridges don’t support SATA ODD reliably, the only options are replacing the drive by a P-ATA version or installing a Silicon Image based SATA controller with Base BIOS.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1990831]Good idea not to buy Asus next time then :a …Michael[/QUOTE]C’on mciahel. :rolleyes:
This is a more then three years old mobo model with VIA sata raid controller… it’s not asus fault for sure. :disagree:

[B]@rEnEek[/B], don’t waste your time, just buy a PCI-to-SATA controller card with SiliconImage chip.

Hello people, I´m having similar problems with the same DVD burner, TSST corp SH-S203D SATA. I select 16x to burn a dvd and the write speed starts raising to 7x or so, and inmediately drops to 4x and never raise…

I tried using ImgBurn and Nero 7.5, is a new drive and I have no idea what the problem is, should I returned it back?

My PC is:

Mother Abit KN9 Ultra
Athlon X2 4200+
2 GB RAM DDR2
1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 300 GB

If someone can give me a hand i would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Nobody knows or nobody wants to answer?

Perform a create disc test with nero cd dvd speed and post the shot/result here.

Here is the Create Disc Test shot, something is wrong here.

Yeah, its the crappo media then.

Thanks man, you are right. I tried with another disc and the results are correct. :clap: