Samsung SH-S203B

vbimport

I have a dual boot system that runs either win2K or winXP

my Samsung has been flashed to b03 firmware yesterday and continues to cause BSOD in winXP only whenever the drive is contacted.

sometimes the drive can be accessed for a list of file names but using it any further than that and the system hangs :frowning:

PS: since i can use the drive when booting win2K i have done some tests reading DVD media and the drive will max out at 3x

(this is using DVDDecrypter and unknown media)

I’ve had same problems on one of mine S203 drives… :sad: Linky
Downflashing to SB02 or SB01 solved the problems.

Sorry to say, but for the moment not all is known what really causing this behaviour on some S203B drives. :wink:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2025347]I’ve had same problems on one of mine S203 drives… :sad: Linky
Downflashing to SB02 or SB01 solved the problems.

Sorry to say, but for the moment not all is known what really causing this behaviour on some S203B drives. ;)[/QUOTE]
Samsung and firmware problems imagine that :rolleyes:. I know my 182D burned far better with earlier firmware then SB06, and of course there’s always the leadin issue they never acknowledged.

thanks Pinto and chaos…

i had the same problem with sB01 and it continues with sB03 so does that mean my only hope is sB02?! feels like im about to have a new ‘paperweight’

help! i cant find a way to get a hold of sB02

samsung only wants to install ‘latest’ firmwares

okie. i got a hold of sB02 (the samsung site was ‘optimized’ for MSIE 5, meaning it is buggy for Opera and Firefox)

after my horrible experience using IE once more, i tried to down flash to sB02. the result is the same BSOD (see below)

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

[quote=chaosoffar2k;2025425]Samsung and firmware problems imagine that :rolleyes:. I know my 182D burned far better with earlier firmware then SB06, and of course there’s always the leadin issue they never acknowledged.[/quote]There is a fix provided by Samsung. Unfortunately only for some OEM firmware, not for their retail customers.:a
See FAQ for details.

Michael

Hi,[quote=crayzihorse;2025658]okie. i got a hold of sB02 (the samsung site was ‘optimized’ for MSIE 5, meaning it is buggy for Opera and Firefox)[/quote]They forgot to make the Korean firmware download site unusable :wink:

after my horrible experience using IE once more, i tried to down flash to sB02. the result is the same BSOD (see below)

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Since you get this BlueScreen only on XP, I suspect, there is some system issue, that is not caused by the drive.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291806/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920872/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285014/en-us

Michael

Sounds like it could maybe be a WinXP driver issue to me since Win2K is working
with the drive with no problems other than the 3x max out. :confused:

[QUOTE=getit29;2025914]Sounds like it could maybe be a WinXP driver issue to me since Win2K is working
with the drive with no problems other than the 3x max out. :confused:[/QUOTE]

yeah. i am going to go down that path and see. perhaps i could update my nForce drivers also…

Hi,

[quote=crayzihorse;2026144]yeah. i am going to go down that path and see. perhaps i could update my nForce drivers also…[/quote]If you are not running a RAID setup on your Sata controller, it might be worth to set it to IDE compatible mode in BIOS, and then to uninstall Nvidia Sata/IDE drivers in order to have Windows install its internal drivers (which are known to work).

Michael

yipee! (i think)

i ran my nForce drivers back in and the system doesnt crash/BSOD when i access the drive.

i got 11.2x in DVDDecrypter with a 12x disc :slight_smile:

EDIT: thanks…

[QUOTE=mciahel;2026146]Hi,
If you are not running a RAID setup on your Sata controller, it might be worth to set it to IDE compatible mode in BIOS, and then to uninstall Nvidia Sata/IDE drivers in order to have Windows install its internal drivers (which are known to work).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Im not running any kind of RAID. I do not have an option in this machines BIOS to set either AHCI or IDE compatible.

As I said above I have seemed to work it out by simply running the nForce drivers back in.

I am yet to really test the drive properly and I may even be able to go back to sB03 firmware now the nForce SATA drivers have stuck better.

Samsung SATA DVD writers are sensitive to the SATA driver. I guess you’re using chipset other than Intel’s.

Mine is a NF410/430 based and has all sorts of problems with SH-S203B. It has the habit of stopping burning and hanging Windows all the times. Finally I have to uninstall the nVidia IDE (SATA) driver to work around the problem.

my nForce is NF430.

still going strong after a few types of tests last night. all i did was re-install the nForce package

[QUOTE=crayzihorse;2026810]my nForce is NF430.

still going strong after a few types of tests last night. all i did was re-install the nForce package[/QUOTE]

Try 20x burning. I hope you good luck.