Samsung SH-S203B: won\'t read or write faster than 1x

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I bought a Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD burner and have been using it since a couple of weeks. It’s worked fine throughout that time, but then yesterday, the drive inexplicably became slow as molasses. It will not read or write faster than 1x, which in practical terms means it now takes about 40 minutes to dump the data from a standard-sized DVD-R to the hard drive, and it takes about as long to write a DVD. What the hell happened?

I haven’t messed around with the firmware for this drive or installed any software which could have impacted its performance. The last thing I did before I noticed it was no longer working at full speed was burn a dual-layer disc at 2.4 speed. Anyone have any suggestions?

How is your system set up (RAID/AHCI/IDE mode etc)?

If it’s set in the BIOS to IDE compatible mode, the drive could have dropped into PIO mode.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105431]How is your system set up (RAID/AHCI/IDE mode etc)?

If it’s set in the BIOS to IDE compatible mode, the drive could have dropped into PIO mode.[/QUOTE]

I just had a look at the BIOS and it’s set to IDE mode. Where do I go from here?

Follow the link in my sig on how to check/enable DMA :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105445]Follow the link in my sig on how to check/enable DMA :)[/QUOTE]It’s a SATA drive :\ but upper and lowers filters in your sig might work.

[QUOTE=Bob;2105450]It’s a SATA drive :\ but upper and lowers filters in your sig might work.[/QUOTE]

If the PC is operating in IDE compatible mode, DMA/PIO applies. I know this from my other PC :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105453]If the PC is operating in IDE compatible mode, DMA/PIO applies. I know this from my other PC :)[/QUOTE]hmm not on my machine :\

It also applied on this PC when I was running XP (in IDE compatible mode)…but I guess your system operates differently.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105457]It also applied on this PC when I was running XP (in IDE compatible mode)…but I guess your system operates differently.[/QUOTE]I just went and looked. I only have the option to check a box :\ never even noticed it :doh:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105445]Follow the link in my sig on how to check/enable DMA :)[/QUOTE]

It does appear that that’s the problem, and I even know what probably caused it – I had tried to rip a problematic DVD, which must’ve forced Windows XP to reduce the drive to PIO mode. Unfortunately, I’m unable to reset the drive to DMA from the Device Manager (it just keeps switching back to PIO-only mode after every reboot), and I don’t want to chance losing the data on my hard drive by deleting that IDE channel (both drives are on the same channel). I guess I’ll try shutting off the computer, opening the case, disconnecting the DVD burner, rebooting, shutting down again, and reconnecting the burner.

What a PITA to have to go through this every time I try to rip a damaged DVD.

Hmmm. Have you tried the “resetdma.vbs” file in one of the posts in my link?

That might work. And if it does, it’s a lot less hassle to run that every time you want to rip a dodgy disc. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105489]Hmmm. Have you tried the “resetdma.vbs” file in one of the posts in my link?

That might work. And if it does, it’s a lot less hassle to run that every time you want to rip a dodgy disc. :)[/QUOTE]

I looked at that but I was kind of freaked out by the disclaimer about possible damage to my computer!

I’ve used it on my mum’s system (SATA drives set to IDE compatible)…worked like a charm :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105495]I’ve used it on my mum’s system (SATA drives set to IDE compatible)…worked like a charm :)[/QUOTE]

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess. I’ll give it a go.

It worked and drive appears to be functioning normally again. Thanks a million! I wouldn’t have figured this out on my own.

You’re welcome, glad it’s fixed :smiley:

Hi,[quote=Oscar Yeager;2105487]What a PITA to have to go through this every time I try to rip a damaged DVD.[/quote]You might go through this article thoroughly: http://www.winhlp.com/node/10 since a long-term solution is also provided.
Or use an external drive for reading bad discs, since these are not affected from this (atapi.sys) issue at all :slight_smile:

Michael

Hello,
I’m having trouble on Vista with my SH-203B. Worked fine at first now when I try to read a disc in the drive it looks like it is trying to read the disc, but never finishes. I have tried updating the firmware, and deleting the upper and lower filters. After deleting the filters I deleted all the burning software I have and reinstalled them and they sill don’t work.