Samsung SH-S203B vs. Pioneer DVR-111D

Using COdeKing’s SB01 FB FR firmware it took 20min 31 sec. to rip a dual layer DVD with my new 203B. I ripped the same DVD with my 111D in 13 min even.

Is that to be expected?

Heck no, but that’s about the only help I can offer. I was doing nothing but nVidia/AMD stuff when the ICH5R was popular. Still, what does a burst rate look like on your Samsung?

Anyone else care to weigh in on this before I send the Samsung back to Newegg?

Your warranty is void since you flashed the drive with patched firmware.

I’ll flash it with standard firmware before returning it.

Why not try another DVD. Sometimes drives are a bit strange. My favorite reader through more than a year (the 165P6SX) can’t read my finest Taiyo Yuden CDR. But it will read anything else…
In your case it maybe after a slowdown in reading it won’t gain speed again. Don’t expect any drive to be 100% perfect or you’ll be very disappointed :slight_smile:

Looks like there is a peculiar bug when ripping DL DVD with the 203B in some pc setups, with the drive not able to rip at full speed.
[B]Pinto2 [/B]has investigated this.http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s203b-riplocked-229316/
I haven’t tried ripping DVD with my own unit though.

[QUOTE=CJ2;1915873]Why not try another DVD. Sometimes drives are a bit strange. My favorite reader through more than a year (the 165P6SX) can’t read my finest Taiyo Yuden CDR. But it will read anything else…
In your case it maybe after a slowdown in reading it won’t gain speed again. Don’t expect any drive to be 100% perfect or you’ll be very disappointed :)[/QUOTE]

I hear you. All drives seem to have their weak points.

I have tried a half dozen different DL DVD’s and the Samsung is simply inferior to the Pioneer. On average it takes 70% longer to rip a DL DVD with the Samsung.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;1915910]Looks like there is a peculiar bug when ripping DL DVD with the 203B in some pc setups, with the drive not able to rip at full speed.
[B]Pinto2 [/B]has investigated this.http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s203b-riplocked-229316/
I haven’t tried ripping DVD with my own unit though.[/QUOTE]

I guess it’s cold comfort to know others are having the same problem. At least I know I’m not retarded now. :clap:

[QUOTE=OldGuy100;1915936]At least I know I’m not retarded now. :clap:[/QUOTE]Glad to have been of psychological help, if not of actual, usable help… :bigsmile: Good luck :slight_smile: