Samsung SH-S203B Problems

vbimport

This problem started from day one but has recently picked up substantially. It occurs when I’m burning data to a DVD+R with ImgBurn 2.4.1. When the disc is in the “Finalising Disc” part of the operation it sometimes stalls or doesn’t even begin it at all.

If it stalls at 90% which is what I recorded, then the disc is still readable and the contents can be extracted. If however the “Finalising Disc” operation doesn’t begin at all, the drive just spins its wheels forever and ever, the drive unresponsive, until I shutdown the computer and I’ve just created a coaster. :frowning: Of the 21 discs I burned 4 times this has happend, 2 were coasters.

It started from day one. It happened once the first week, I thought nothing of it but It happend three times this week already. I bought the drive from Newegg on 4/16 so it can’t be it’s just worn? I’ve re-installed ImgBurn and made sure of the connections but the problem still persists. I see that I’m past the RMA date Newegg puts standard items. I’m guessing I got a bad drive. Whaddaya guys think I should do?

[QUOTE=Fritzy_NO.1;2072878]I see that I’m past the RMA date Newegg puts standard items. I’m guessing I got a bad drive. Whaddaya guys think I should do?[/QUOTE]

First off Welcome to the forum and nope you’re not past the newegg RMA date :wink:

You don’t by chance have a Nvidia based chip-set mobo do you? If you do then make sure the Nvidia IDE drivers isn’t installed I went through the same
ordeal with the discs either not writing the lead-in or not finalizing after the write when I first got my SH-203B. I had the Nvidia IDE drivers installed and
after un-installing them and let the Microsoft standard IDE drivers install I’ve had no more problems since then. :clap:

Awesome!!! I’ll look into that. :bow:

As for your mobo inquiry, no it’s an Intel chipset.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
NORTH BRIDGE: Intel P35
SOUTH BRIDGE: Intel ICH9

Any conflicts known with these chipsets? If not it’s gotta be a bad writer then huh? What else should I try to isolate this problem to a “bad writer” which I suspect. I’ll definitly look into a RMA, thanks getit29 and await further suggestions.

Hi and Welcome![quote=Fritzy_NO.1;2073239]
As for your mobo inquiry, no it’s an Intel chipset.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
NORTH BRIDGE: Intel P35
SOUTH BRIDGE: Intel ICH9

Any conflicts known with these chipsets?[/quote]

You happen to have your Sata ports configured as AHCI?
Or do you have connected your drive to the Jmicron controller that is additionally soldered onto your mainboard?

Both might be the source of your problem. In case of AHCI mode, switching to IDE might help.

Michael

I checked the bios and AHCI is turned off as default. Any way of showing that it is turned off in Windows, I can’t seem to find it. The JMicron controller refers to the IDE port no? In that case no It’s connected on a SATA Port.

I’ll give IDE mode a whirl and see how that goes.

BTW, a few hits later on google and here show that others are also having similar sh-s203b problems with ImgBurn. I’m starting to think this particular samsung drive doesn’t play nice with ImgBurn and it isn’t the drive’s fault. I guess I could pull out an old disc of Nero I have and do comparisons. Can you recommend any other burning software preferredly freeware.

Some other suggestions from my search:
1. Turn on Auto-Play (I turned off in XP)
2. Switch SATA ports (All right)
3. DVD+R Reserve Track (On by default in ImgBurn but still during these problems)
4. Firmware update (Will flash to S04)
5. Chipset update.
*** Gigabyte released 8.3.1.1011, I currently have installed 8.3.0.1016 should I? ***

If none of the suggestions above work or the problem still exists in Nero then I’ll request a RMA with Newegg. I’ll post later with some results.

References:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f153/consistent-problem-imgburn-samsung-203b-231946/

Sorry I haven’t updated this in a while. I think I should wrap this topic up if any other member has this same type of problem.

Anyways, I solved my problem of discs not finalising in Imgburn by switching over to IDE mode which you can do in bios. I did, and after 50 burns no coasters. Problem solved.

So, thanks to everyone that helped. I appreciate it.

[QUOTE=Fritzy_NO.1;2111972]Sorry I haven’t updated this in a while. I think I should wrap this topic up if any other member has this same type of problem.

Anyways, I solved my problem of discs not finalising in Imgburn [B]by switching over to IDE mode[/B] which you can do in bios. I did, and after 50 burns no coasters. Problem solved.

So, thanks to everyone that helped. I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

This is always the recommended setting if possible…