Samsung SH-S203B DVD Burner Review

I just posted the article Samsung SH-S203B DVD Burner Review.

The Samsung SH-S203B is a blisteringly fast DVD burner with a great feature set and very good writing quality.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/13724-Samsung-SH-S203B-DVD-Burner-Review/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/13724-Samsung-SH-S203B-DVD-Burner-Review/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I bought one based on the article. I have a Pioneer DVR 112D, a Pioneer DVR 110D, A Samsung SH S183L and a Samsung SH-S203B. The two Pioneer’s read/rip a pressed DL DVD in 14:30 minutes the Samsung’s take 22 minutes to read/rip the same DVD!! I’m using the latest free version of DVDFab Decrypter. What am I missing or what program should I be using to get the Samsung’s to rip a a reasonable speed?

I’m having some DL burning problems with this drive. At this point, I’m not sure if it is drive, version of Nero or the DL disks. CD-R’s or DVD-R’s burn okay. No matter what I try, I cannot burn a complete DL disks. Nero randomly generates "Write Error"s. Here’s my system, drive and media details: Windows Vista Business (Build 6000) (pre-SP1) Nero Version: 8.0.3.0 Recorder: Version: SB03 - HA 1 TA 0 - 8.0.3.0 Recorder: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B, Media type: DVD+R9 Double Layer Disc Manufacturer ID: RITEK, Media Type ID: S04, Product revision number: 66 Disc Application Code: 0, Extended Information Indicators: 3 The disks are branded Memorex 8x DVD+R DL but it appears they were made by RITEK.

Lawhead, it’s most likely because of the disc and not the drive. Ritek DL disks are unreliable. You’d better try Verbatim.

i too have a problem burning dl disks with this drive. It burned one successfully now all i get is errors when it initializes.

Should i buy it? :r :g :B

Is there a samsung external equivalent to the SH-S203B ?

@dunk01 SH-S203N, SH-S203P, with P being a replacement for N, no big difference.

Re Samsung SH-S203B: Anyone know where I can buy the retail version? All I see on the net is the OPEM version. Thanks for your assistance :slight_smile:

what’s the differens between SH-203B , SH-203S , SH-203P , SH-203D, SH-203N ? :o

Anyone know where I can purchase the RETAIL version of this Samsung SATA DVD/CD burner (SH-S203B)? I’m engaged in a new build and my mobo (DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS) has lots of capabilities for SATA drives but looks like only one connection for an EIDE drive. Thanks :slight_smile:

Just got mine yesterday. It rips big files at 12x and writes 16x blanks at 20 x :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve not tried dl dvd’s yet. Joe
This message was edited at: 18-05-2008 16:03

want one just for single layer burning its the fastest ive seen

I just wanna know… is it lightscribe compatible???

I have had a SH-S203B,firmware SB03 since Feb. Worked great ,burning almost any media. Today I tried to burn a 133meg file to a cd-r, no go. Tried it with a DVD-R, no go. If I look in MY COMPUTER it shows the drive as a DVD-RAM drive. As soon as I load a blank DVD or CD, it changes to CD-ROM. I have tried rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling the drive, let windows detect, same thing. I can still view files on CD’s or DVD’s, and watch DVD movies, but I can’t get it to burn now. I have tried burning just using win xp, and it won’t work. Anyone have any Ideas?

I have had a SH-S203B,firmware SB03 since Feb. Worked great ,burning almost any media. Today I tried to burn a 133meg file to a cd-r, no go. Tried it with a DVD-R, no go. If I look in MY COMPUTER it shows the drive as a DVD-RAM drive. As soon as I load a blank DVD or CD, it changes to CD-ROM. I have tried rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling the drive, let windows detect, same thing. I can still view files on CD’s or DVD’s, and watch DVD movies, but I can’t get it to burn now. I have tried burning just using win xp, and it won’t work. Anyone have any Ideas? Sorry for the dbl post. dunno why it did that
This message was edited at: 03-07-2008 01:59

I have the exact same problem… can’t burn with CloneDVD to either my LG GSA-H73N or my Samsung SH-S203B… for the exact same reasons. Changes from CD-ROM to DVD-RAM and CloneDVD 2.9.1.9 can’t handle it. My older version of Nero 6.6 burns without a hitch. So I rip with one set of software, burn with another. It’a a major pain but at least I can burn something. :g

I have narrowed it down to a problem with built in Imapi support in WinXP, I think. I tried to install an old copy of Nero 5.5, but the install fails. Says I have an older version on the computer. I have searched every folder on the HD, and checked the registry. No Nero found /shrug.

@mightymouse, maybe try c-cleaner.com. I have a 203p, when i burn a audio cd around one in three tracks are unreadable in most cd player. i hope a driver update will fix it

@mightymouse try nero clean tool then reinstall nero application.